Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Yellow engine symbol on dash

Daily
    vw mk5 golf 2.0 fsi
    Name
    Ken Jerrems

Yellow engine symbol on dash

Can someone tell me what the yellow engine symbol is that now appears on the dash.

It's just started and is intermittent.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by neksmerj View Post
    Can someone tell me what the yellow engine symbol is that now appears on the dash.

It's just started and is intermittent.

Ken

"Check engine light "

If you have VCDS cable, go scan it. Otherwise, get an ELM327 OBD2 module from ebay and scan it using the "Torque" app from google play store.

You'll get some kind of error message/code that will tell you what's wrong/why that light is showing up.
    VCDS will give you a very specific code/reason. the OBD2 will give you a generic one, so you'll have to google that + your car model. (ie: P01393 Golf mk5 tdi ) etc.

Would do this asap. But also wouldn't go to a mechanic who might charge you $50 just to scan it.

Daily
    The car i drive daly
    2nd Car
    dont have one
    Name
    Brad

It means call the dealer and book it in to get checked

Daily
    Golf R
    Name
    Lucas

You need to get either a mechanic or the VW dealer run a diagnostic scan on the car to see what the issue is. Could be something as simple as a misfire due to worn out ignition coils or spark plugs or it could be more serious.

Have you noticed the car stuttering under acceleration or behaving differently to normal?

Daily
    vw mk5 golf 2.0 fsi
    Name
    Ken Jerrems

Lucus_R

The engine is now behaving in a peculiar way, when approaching a stop, the engine wants to surge and only drops to an idle when the brakes are applied bringing the car to a stop.

Any ideas what's causing this?

Ken

Daily
    vw mk5 golf 2.0 fsi
    Name
    Ken Jerrems

Split crankcase ventilation breather tube

Problem solved,

It's an hours drive to my private VW mechanic in Truganina, but it's worth it. Not only is he knowledgeable and efficient, but charges half the dealership fees.

Within five minutes, he isolated the problem, the leak was quite audible with the bonnet up. It turned out to be a split crankcase ventilation breather tube. A simple plastic elbow.

Knowing the part would be hard to find, he directed me to Bayford VW motors in Campbellfield.

Fortunately they had one in stock. The price shocked me at $72, if it had been a plumbing fitting it probably would have cost 50 cents

It was a 5 minute job to rip out the old one, in several pieces, and replace it. Wallah, the motor is sweet again.

Why on earth spare parts are so so expensive is beyond me, greed???.

Ken

+ Reply to Thread