Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Loud Knocking / grinding sound Golf MK6 R

Daily
    MK6 R

Loud Knocking / grinding sound Golf MK6 R

Potentially serious problem...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBgbjsdVE-I

This knocking / grinding sound randomly occurred for the 3rd time. This time i was able to record on my phone. Each occasion has happened randomly, weeks apart, and i have not been able to replicate the sound. Following each event i removed all wheels for inspection around the brakes and driveshaft but everything seemed visually ok. Upon jacking up the car, i didnt notice any debris fall down or any obvious wear on the rotors or between the rotor and the backplate. After refitting the wheel, the sound was gone. When i drove again today the sound came back but was less noisy and seemed to disappear after about 30secs.

Any help on the cause of this or ideas of what to check would be appreciated.

Daily
    MK6 Golf R
    Name
    Tony

From the frequency/interval of the sound, the noise sounds like it could have something to do with your wheels. It looks like you have aftermarket wheels, are they possibly grinding or hitting your hubs or shocks/struts?

What are the wheel specs (width/offset)? Could any of your tyres have a screw or nail sticking out that could be hitting something?

Daily
    MK6 R

I removed all the wheels again, checked for obvious wear or scrubbing. absolutely nothing out of the ordinary. wheels are 19 x 8 ET41 so the offset is aggressive, but not rubbing anywhere. noise happened again today very briefly about 5mins into a short trip and then faded away

Daily
    MK6 Golf R
    Name
    Tony

The noise definitely sounds like it's being caused by a rotating part, so I would have it checked out by a mechanic (drivetrain/drivshaft/front axles, suspension, etc.).

Daily
    boeing 747
    2nd Car
    golf r
    Name
    justin sane

could be your prop shaft spinning into your exhaust.

have a look at your prop shaft where it joins to the motor, youll know if this is the culprit cause youll see silver scratches where it should be all black .
    Pretty much where the bolts should be going into . Do you have an aftermarket exhaust .

+ Reply to Thread