Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A rock killed my Golf

Daily
    Mk7 90TSI
    2nd Car
    Honda CB1300S
    Name
    Nick Stevens

A rock killed my Golf

About a month ago I was driving my 2013 Golf 90 TSI at low speed along a good dirt road in Oxley Wild Rivers National Park when I ran over a rock that cracked my sump. The car did not seem to be affected and I drove slowly to Gingers Creek Roadhouse on the Oxley Highway when the low oil light came on. The NRMA took my car to Port Macquarie.

Next day I spoke to the estimator who said that it could be a write off even before he had inspected under the car and after I told him that I had ceased driving as soon as the low oil warning light came on. I was shocked. The cost of repairing the sump and other damaged parts came to $10,000 and the car was subsequently declared a write off. The insurance settlement was $15,600. The insurance company wrote off the car as they did not want to risk repairing underneath the car only to find out that there was engine damage from a lack of engine oil.

The car was taken to Pickles in Newcastle for auction. The parts to repair the sump only cost about $1,000. The insurance estimate included an exhaust part for over $2,000 even though the exhaust was working well. I was tempted to bid on the car and get someone to fix it. However, I like to drive dirt roads and bought a 2010 3.6 Subaru Outback for only $16,000. I miss my Golf, it was an amazing car. I will try to get my wife to replace her Mazda 6 with a Golf.

Daily
    Mk7 90TSI
    2nd Car
    Honda CB1300S
    Name
    Nick Stevens

The new owner of my Golf contacted me. He paid $10,000 for it at auction and fixed it for $250! The price seems high given that it is not possible to register a write off in NSW. My Golf is coming back to Queensland.

Daily
    Golf R
    Name
    Lucas

Crazy! And repaired for only $250

+ Reply to Thread