Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jb4 tune

Daily
    GTI MK6 2012

Jb4 tune

Hi

Getting the new R 7.5 in Mid-late nov, just wondering where you guys getting the jb4 and installed? Just getting some prices so maybe ill get it done sometime early next year after running it in a little bit.

Im too lazy to install myself.

Daily
    Golf R
    Name
    Lucas

What state and area/town are you in? Its a pretty easy install, takes all of about 30 mins as a DIY.

Daily
    GTI MK6 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    What state and area/town are you in? Its a pretty easy install, takes all of about 30 mins as a DIY.
    Sydney.

Daily
    GTI MK6 2012

I saw on autoinstruct the jb4 goes for 650 and got quoted at another place around 800

Not sure how much apr is these. But i guess only going with jb4 because of "warranty". But hearing mix things as some say VW can detect it even after removing before taking it in and others say VW dont.

Daily
    Golf GT Sport Diesel
    2nd Car
    MK 7 Golf R

Just get an APR Stage 1 tune you will be very happy, definately worth it

Daily
    Mk7 Wolfie Wagon
    2nd Car
    Audi Q3
    Name
    Kenny

As far as I know (and according to George of Burger Motor Sport) there is no confirmed case of anyone being detected after the JB1/JB4 is removed. However any tune will definitely void your drive train warranty with a JD1 code. That's why I'm using JB4, not a tune.

My DSG develped a software glitch, making it effectively a FWD. Lucky I didn't have a tune as I don't want to risk VW refusing to fix this. They certainly didn't detect my removed Jb4.

Daily
    Golf R
    Name
    Lucas

Assuming VW can detect all tunes, the JB1/JB4 is well respected on the Mk7 GTI/R and has shown good gains for very little outlay. The fact you can remove it and sell it when you sell the car also means you can recoup most of the investment.

A complete aftermarket tune from someone like APR is at least twice the price of the JB1/JB4, and while a complete tune will give some more gains, you have to take the price into consideration and also it cannot be sold off when you sell the car.

Daily
    GTI MK6 2012

Quote Originally Posted by DKC View Post
    My DSG develped a software glitch, making it effectively a FWD. Lucky I didn't have a tune as I don't want to risk VW refusing to fix this. They certainly didn't detect my removed Jb4.
    hmm good to know that

Quote Originally Posted by turbogtst View Post
    Just get an APR Stage 1 tune you will be very happy, definately worth it
    yep i will after the 3 year warranty ends or maybe even do it after second year owning it

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Assuming VW can detect all tunes, the JB1/JB4 is well respected on the Mk7 GTI/R and has shown good gains for very little outlay. The fact you can remove it and sell it when you sell the car also means you can recoup most of the investment.

A complete aftermarket tune from someone like APR is at least twice the price of the JB1/JB4, and while a complete tune will give some more gains, you have to take the price into consideration and also it cannot be sold off when you sell the car.
    would you jb4 it straight away or wait maybe 2-3mnths?

Daily
    Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg
    Name
    Ross

Quote Originally Posted by nosound View Post
    hmm good to know that

yep i will after the 3 year warranty ends or maybe even do it after second year owning it

I had my JB1 then JB4 on my MK7 R fitted at 5000km traded at 27000km worked brilliantly, I have just upgraded to a MK7.5 R and will install the JB4 after 1500km service. JB4 on a stock motor is about 265kW 485Nm

The R engines are designed to take way in excess of 420HP in stock form. I just returned from Germany and had a drive in HGP Turbos 480PS apart from larger turbo and improved air filter and inlet, intercooler, exhaust, larger fuel pump the motor is stock and it translates to 353kW and 615Nm 3.2s / 100kph massive power and the car handles it with ease just shows how good the R platform is, the DSG gearbox has extra clutch plates. I asked Martin how many km before he did the build he said 200km so like anything treat the motor with respect let it warm up before using full power these motors are built to run hard from scratch.
    Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg | Oryx White | DSG

Daily
    Golf R
    Name
    Lucas

Quote Originally Posted by nosound View Post
    When i bought my Mk6 R brand new i left it for about 1 month just incase it had any mechanical issues and then tuned it. The JB1/JB4 was not available for the Mk6 so my only option was an aftermarket tune, but i certainly wouldnt have hesitated to use a JB1/JB4 if they had been available given their proven gains and price vs an aftermarket tune.

+ Reply to Thread