Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thinking of New Golf R to replace old one.

Daily
    Ford Fiesta ST
    2nd Car
    Golf R
    Name
    Chris

Thinking of New Golf R to replace old one.

Hello guy, well some of you may remember me being very active on the site. not so much recently as had other things in my life.

Some may also remember my "R" and the DIY posts I did.

Well is til to get back into it, thinking of buying the new 2017-2018 "R" fully optioned. I really like the new active instrument cluster.

If anyone has any thoughts, feedback, experiences on the new "R" would be keen to hear.

Chris,

P.S. those interested keep an eye in the cars for sale, my current "R" will eventually appear there.
    The NewCar: MY18 Blue Golf R, 6 speed Manual, 5 Door, Driver assistance package, Sun Roof.
    Desired mods;Short Shifter; Slotted rotors; tune ; Black front VW Emblem

The Old Car: MY11 Candy White Golf R, DSG, 5 Door, Adaptive Chassis Control, Sunroof.
    Stuff;- BBS Motorsport mags 19"; Goodyear Eagle 235/35/19 tyres; RNS510; BlueFin; Black front VW Emblem, Flap mod. Rear View Cam

Daily
    VW Golf
    2nd Car
    Jeep
    Name
    Jason

I can see you have some tasty mods to your R, but that said, the difference between the Mk6 and Mk7 on the MQB platform is very considerable. I had an S3 on the previous platform, buying this at the time as I felt it was a superior drive compared with the Golf R, which at that time had just been released. I was following the development of the Golf R, and even had one ordered. Finally when it arrived, I didn't like t as much as the S3, so went that way.

The Golf R on the MQB platform is superior in almost every way to the S3 on the previous platform dynamically. I tuned by S3, which made it quick, but my current Golf R is a better car to drive (Mk7).

The 7.5 takes it a step further again (maybe a few steps...) with some useful power gains in standard form, but more significantly, the 7 speed DSG from the current S3 combined with extra Haldex refinements over its predecessor makes it a proper transformation of the car. Add all the infotainment niceties and other tech goodies that are not possible on the Mk 6, and you have a compelling driver for an upgrade.

You would need to be devoid of a pulse not to notice the difference I think. I'm even wondering if it isn't worth the step from my current Golf R... LOL

Good luck with your deliberations. I think you can't go wrong.

Daily
    Ford Fiesta ST
    2nd Car
    Golf R
    Name
    Chris

LibraR,

Thanks heaps for the note and encouragement. I too looked at the S3 and the S1 but kept coming back to the "R".
    So much so that I ordered one today. February delivery. At least its a quicker delivery than my first "R" that was 9 months.

Chris
    The NewCar: MY18 Blue Golf R, 6 speed Manual, 5 Door, Driver assistance package, Sun Roof.

The Old Car: MY11 Candy White Golf R, DSG, 5 Door, Adaptive Chassis Control, Sunroof.
    Stuff;- BBS Motorsport mags 19"; Goodyear Eagle 235/35/19 tyres; RNS510; BlueFin; Black front VW Emblem, Flap mod. Rear View Cam

Daily
    MK6 GTI
    Name
    Jason

Do you mind if I ask what price you got it for?

I'm looking at a lapiz blue 7.5 R with DSG, driver assist and sunroof for around $61k drive-away. Has anyone gotten better pricing? It seems quite reasonable. It's been a while since I've stepped into a Golf since my last Mk6 GTI.

Also if anyone else has pricing for comparison, please let me know.

The test drives I've had of the 7.5 have really made it appealing. I've looked at an S3 and an A45, but for the all-rounder and price, I can't go past the R.
    Last edited by JJMS1976; 18-10-2017 at 03:06 PM.

Daily
    Ford Fiesta ST
    2nd Car
    Golf R
    Name
    Chris

Gday, JJMS

I bought exactly the same car as you except manual (plus a few dealer added bits), drive away price was $59k (Feb delivery). So I think $61k for DSG is pretty good. I also drove the S3 and S1 sport,
    I felt like I was driving over priced old technology.

A suggestion about DGS. My current "R" is DSG, you get over the DSG very quickly and long to be back in a full manual in a golf. If you can get hold of a DSG and drive for a day I would take that opportunity.

Chris

P.S. I envy you living in Tassie, it is the best place in the world to drive a car.

Quote Originally Posted by JJMS1976 View Post
    Do you mind if I ask what price you got it for?

I'm looking at a lapiz blue 7.5 R with DSG, driver assist and sunroof for around $61k drive-away. Has anyone gotten better pricing? It seems quite reasonable. It's been a while since I've stepped into a Golf since my last Mk6 GTI.

Also if anyone else has pricing for comparison, please let me know.

The test drives I've had of the 7.5 have really made it appealing. I've looked at an S3 and an A45, but for the all-rounder and price, I can't go past the R.

Hi Jason. Sorry to hijack the thread. Just wondering, is that price (61k) local?or have you had to look elsewhere?

+ Reply to Thread