Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Short shifter options Golf "R" Mk7.5

Daily
    Ford Fiesta ST
    2nd Car
    Golf R
    Name
    Chris

Short shifter options Golf "R" Mk7.5

Gday guys,
    Am back, upgrading my 2011 "R" to a new MY18 Mk7.5 "R".
    Going down the mods list path again, excited.

But first on my list is a short shifter (ordered 6 speed manual). Did a search of the forum and either these things are not popular of I am hopeless a searching forums.

Anyway, am keen to here if others have install short shifters on the "R"s Mk7 or above and what types/manufactures/ suppliers are recommended.

Chris
    The NewCar: MY18 Blue Golf R, 6 speed Manual, 5 Door, Driver assistance package, Sun Roof.
    Desired mods;Short Shifter; Slotted rotors; tune ; Black front VW Emblem

The Old Car: MY11 Candy White Golf R, DSG, 5 Door, Adaptive Chassis Control, Sunroof.
    Stuff;- BBS Motorsport mags 19"; Goodyear Eagle 235/35/19 tyres; RNS510; BlueFin; Black front VW Emblem, Flap mod. Rear View Cam

Daily
    Golf GTI mk6
    Name
    Adam

Iím also interested too but I think itís just the same shifter as the MK6 so try just searching there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daily
    Golf 7R
    Name
    Andy

Assuming its the same as mk7 i couldnt recomend dieselgeek enough. Nice and notchy short and direct. 👍

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Daily
    Ford Fiesta ST
    2nd Car
    Golf R
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by bamford656 View Post
    Assuming its the same as mk7 i couldnt recomend dieselgeek enough. Nice and notchy short and direct. ��

Thanks heaps for that. Interesting you should recommend that brand. others have done the same on other forums, even though it appears to have the least "visual" quality of manufacture.
    The NewCar: MY18 Blue Golf R, 6 speed Manual, 5 Door, Driver assistance package, Sun Roof.

The Old Car: MY11 Candy White Golf R, DSG, 5 Door, Adaptive Chassis Control, Sunroof.
    Stuff;- BBS Motorsport mags 19"; Goodyear Eagle 235/35/19 tyres; RNS510; BlueFin; Black front VW Emblem, Flap mod. Rear View Cam

Daily
    Golf 7R
    Name
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by ozmale View Post
    Thanks heaps for that. Interesting you should recommend that brand. others have done the same on other forums, even though it appears to have the least "visual" quality of manufacture.
    When i was researching it was the one that stood out with most reviews. Quality was perfect in my experiance. Hope this helps

Daily
    Golf R
    Name
    Lucas

I really disliked the Dieselgeek short shifter on my Mk6 R - felt far to notchy in my opinion and felt like it was crunching gears. I ended up removing the Dieselgeek, using the solid shifter bushings from 42DD (although other brands make essentially the same kit) and then a NeuSpeed short shift kit which was exactly the feel i was wanting.

Daily
    Ford Fiesta ST
    2nd Car
    Golf R
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    I really disliked the Dieselgeek short shifter on my Mk6 R - felt far to notchy in my opinion and felt like it was crunching gears. I ended up removing the Dieselgeek, using the solid shifter bushings from 42DD (although other brands make essentially the same kit) and then a NeuSpeed short shift kit which was exactly the feel i was wanting.
    Lucas,
    thanks for actually giving a reason why you were not keen on the Dieselgeek SS, a lot just criticize with no real explanation. "felt notchy" I see. reminds my of when I bought several Rear engine mounts for my fiesta ST. The difference each one made the car feel was amazing. one transmitted all the engine noise into the cabin but made the car "feel" like is had 20 extra kilowatts. I hated it but the 20 year old thought it was fantastic.

I will check out the "NeuSpeed short shift kit ". since no one has said otherwise I assume these kits still fit the mk 7.5

Daily
    Golf R
    Name
    Lucas

Yes in my opinion the Dieselgeek shifter kit felt far to notchy for my liking. I played around with its adjustment a lot assuming i had installed it incorrectly, but its just how it was. Some people love them and swear by them, others do not like them.

NeuSpeed or HPA are both well regarded as having very good short shifters if you want to go down that route.

Tutorial here from an Australian supplier on installing a short shifter on the Mk7 R as well as the solid shifter bushings: https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/manu...-installation/

Link to the HPA short shifter on the same suppliers website: https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/prod...4-mk5-mk6-mk7/

The other think to consider to improve the shift feel is a heavier gear shift knob (look at BFI - Black Forest Industries). The stock plastic/leather shift know is lucky to weigh 120grams, wheras the BFI knobs are about 2-3 times heavier and look great. There is another brand who make shift knobs (RaceEng) too and they are even heavier (600grams).

Also see here (USA website) for a comprehensive range of Mk7 shoft shifter accessories: https://www.uspmotorsports.com/Volks...keep_https=yes
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 19-10-2017 at 05:00 PM.

Daily
    Golf 7R
    Name
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Yes in my opinion the Dieselgeek shifter kit felt far to notchy for my liking. I played around with its adjustment a lot assuming i had installed it incorrectly, but its just how it was. Some people love them and swear by them, others do not like them.

NeuSpeed or HPA are both well regarded as having very good short shifters if you want to go down that route.

Tutorial here from an Australian supplier on installing a short shifter on the Mk7 R as well as the solid shifter bushings: https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/manu...-installation/

Link to the HPA short shifter on the same suppliers website: https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/prod...4-mk5-mk6-mk7/

The other think to consider to improve the shift feel is a heavier gear shift knob (look at BFI - Black Forest Industries). The stock plastic/leather shift know is lucky to weigh 120grams, wheras the BFI knobs are about 2-3 times heavier and look great. There is another brand who make shift knobs (RaceEng) too and they are even heavier (600grams).

Also see here (USA website) for a comprehensive range of Mk7 shoft shifter accessories: https://www.uspmotorsports.com/Volks...keep_https=yes
    Agree with lucas here, i changed to a raceseng shift knob before even having the shift kit and it helped the feel with the extra weight.

Daily
    Mk6 GTI
    2nd Car
    Honda Euro

Hi Ozemale,

I have a Mk7 R and Mk6 GTI. On both cars I have done the same shifter mods.

Audi S3 OEM short shifter, ECS clutch bleeder block and hacksawing off just under 1cm from the shift lever and re using the factory gear knob.

Its a fantastic mod, about 20% shorter shift travel, slightly heavier more positive feel.

Funny enough between the Mk6 and Mk7, the shifter feel is different. Mk6 is more buttery smooth, while Mk7 is snickety, snick positive. Both feel great! Better than standard, quicker and more positive.

+ Reply to Thread