Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Short shifter options Golf "R" Mk7.5

Daily
    Ford Fiesta ST
    2nd Car
    Golf R
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by vorace View Post
    Hi Ozemale,

I have a Mk7 R and Mk6 GTI. On both cars I have done the same shifter mods.

Audi S3 OEM short shifter, ECS clutch bleeder block and hacksawing off just under 1cm from the shift lever and re using the factory gear knob.

Its a fantastic mod, about 20% shorter shift travel, slightly heavier more positive feel.

Funny enough between the Mk6 and Mk7, the shifter feel is different. Mk6 is more buttery smooth, while Mk7 is snickety, snick positive. Both feel great! Better than standard, quicker and more positive.
    Thanks heaps mate really appreciate the info. The "ECS clutch bleeder block" caught my interest, never heard of that. Just read about it on ECS, sounds like a bit of a must have.

Chris
    The NewCar: MY18 Blue Golf R, 6 speed Manual, 5 Door, Driver assistance package, Sun Roof.
    Desired mods;Short Shifter; Slotted rotors; tune ; Black front VW Emblem

The Old Car: MY11 Candy White Golf R, DSG, 5 Door, Adaptive Chassis Control, Sunroof.
    Stuff;- BBS Motorsport mags 19"; Goodyear Eagle 235/35/19 tyres; RNS510; BlueFin; Black front VW Emblem, Flap mod. Rear View Cam

Daily
    Golf GTI mk6
    Name
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by vorace View Post
    Hi Ozemale,

I have a Mk7 R and Mk6 GTI. On both cars I have done the same shifter mods.

Audi S3 OEM short shifter, ECS clutch bleeder block and hacksawing off just under 1cm from the shift lever and re using the factory gear knob.

Its a fantastic mod, about 20% shorter shift travel, slightly heavier more positive feel.

Funny enough between the Mk6 and Mk7, the shifter feel is different. Mk6 is more buttery smooth, while Mk7 is snickety, snick positive. Both feel great! Better than standard, quicker and more positive.
    Hey mate, just wondering where you got the S3 shirt shifter from and is there a part number for it?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daily
    Mk6 GTI
    2nd Car
    Honda Euro

Hi,
    You can get it from ECS tuning in USA. Shipping is pretty costly but get a few things while you are at it. You can also get the Bleeder block there.
    I think DAP- Deutsche Auto Parts in USA also have it.....

Daily
    Mk6 GTI
    2nd Car
    Honda Euro

ozzyA9, the S3 shifter is on the ECS website as European Short Shifter OEM. Part No: 8J0711046E
    You could check with VW or Audi dealers in Aus to see if is cheaper here, otherwise get it from ECS with some other parts like the Bleeder block and shifter mount bushes.

The beauty of the thing is that the S3 Shifter looks OEM and works well with the other mods Ive done. I have some shifter mount bushes also yet to fit. But the shift feels so good and "factory" (but shorter throw) that I haven had the urge to put the mount bushes in!

Daily
    Golf GTI mk6
    Name
    Adam

Thanks for that, just what I was after. should I be concerned that it says that it does not to fit the mk7 R?

Daily
    Mk6 GTI
    2nd Car
    Honda Euro

I bought that one for my Mk7 and it was fine.
    On DAP website it lists for Mk7 R and GTI...
    https://shopdap.com/make-model-year/...j0711046e.html

Daily
    Golf GTI mk6
    Name
    Adam

Cheers mate. Done.

Daily
    MKV BMP 3dr GTI
    Name
    Tom

I had a dieseleek shift on my MkV for about a year I think. I liked it while I had it but I honestly think that was because I had it.

When I had my gearbox out to install an LSD I had shifter bracket bushings and also shifter bushings installed and also fitted a BFI GS2 gear knob. It was so much better. The shifter throw and all round feel on these cars is pretty darn good to begin with. Some bushes helped it feel a little more solid and a heavier gear knob made the gears slot home very nicely.

Small changes!

Daily
    Ford Fiesta ST
    2nd Car
    Golf R
    Name
    Chris

Guys ,

It appears from the posts that the Dieselgeek, HPA and OEM shifters are the preferences.

I am curious about the APR version, seems a lot more sophisticated (maybe a bad thing). any feedback ?

Chris
    The NewCar: MY18 Blue Golf R, 6 speed Manual, 5 Door, Driver assistance package, Sun Roof.
    Desired mods;Short Shifter; Slotted rotors; tune ; Black front VW Emblem

The Old Car: MY11 Candy White Golf R, DSG, 5 Door, Adaptive Chassis Control, Sunroof.
    Stuff;- BBS Motorsport mags 19"; Goodyear Eagle 235/35/19 tyres; RNS510; BlueFin; Black front VW Emblem, Flap mod. Rear View Cam

Daily
    Mk6 GTI
    2nd Car
    Honda Euro

Hi,
    I think you have to decide what sort of shift feel you want and set up accordingly.
    Personally I like the shift feel to match the other controls-ie. clutch and steering, and when it is consistent across these tactile points then the car is even more of a joy to drive. I suppose we drive manuals because we like the interaction and involvement.
    I didnt want the shifter on my MK7R to be too notchy, too short and heavy as the steering weight and clutch are generally on the lighter side.
    For example, I was fortunate to drive a 718 Cayman S last week and the shifter was firm+, notchy and short throw. This felt great with the heavier clutch and meaty steering feel. Similar goes for driving a nice older Honda. Super fast light short throw shift, light clutch and steering and revvy VTEC engine.

+ Reply to Thread