Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Golf Discover navigation maps update application

Daily
    2013 Golf tdi htch
    2nd Car
    2014 Golf tdi wgn
    Name
    Paul

Golf Discover navigation maps update application

Today I had my 2012/13 Golf (V1 maps) serviced and the Discover maps (V1) updated. The service guy gave me the address to download and install the maps whenever I like. So, when I got home I updated our 2014 Golf with V2 maps. I used the original SD card, and the programme backed up the current maps, downloaded the new maps and installed them. Expect a couple of hours for completion.
    Only the AUS/NZ maps are downloaded and installed, so only 639 MB is used on the card. But not too many of us will be shipping our cars offshore.  The backed up earlier maps were over 6GB, and probably most of the world.

Download the application file and extract it. Open the folder and click on
    DiscoverCareStart. Have your existing SD card in your PC so it can check, I copied the whole folder to the Program Files (x86) folder and created a desktop shortcut of the DiscoverCareStart application file for future ease of access, as the programme doesn't get installed.

http://en.volkswagen.com/en/innovati...covercare.html

Click on the DiscoverCare download link. Don't bother selecting Choose model or Choose Country dropdowns at the top right of the page, as this just takes you to country VW sites.

Current version on both vehicles at time of writing is 5G0919866AQ0044 ROW 2017/18
    Last edited by paul_m; 27-10-2017 at 08:56 PM.

Daily
    Toyota Prado
    2nd Car
    VW Golf R
    Name
    Matrix

Thanks for this Paul. Worked perfectly and now have latest 2017/2018 map version. Even kept my stored destinations.

Daily
    2013 Golf tdi htch
    2nd Car
    2014 Golf tdi wgn
    Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
    Thanks for this Paul. Worked perfectly and now have latest 2017/2018 map version. Even kept my stored destinations.
    No worries. Much easier than the earlier way of updating if you didn't have the dealer do it. I had a look at manually updating a year or two ago and thought this is too risky, and would end up going to the dealer to fix a failed update at hopefully no cost to me. Instructions just weren't clear enough, although some apparently updated OK.

This is the way my dealer now updates the maps. So good enough for me. Last update they installed, it was the full ~7GB version.
    And, nice to have just the AUS (& NZ?) maps without 5-6GB of clutter.
    Last edited by paul_m; 29-10-2017 at 09:56 AM.

Daily
    2014 Golf 110TDI
    2nd Car
    Hyundai iX35 SE
    Name
    Bob

Yep, me too. It took me 3 years to get an update out of a dealer. I was not confident enough to try the big download so just put up with what I had. Thanks paul_m, I'm now up to date.

+ Reply to Thread