Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Improving 110tsi Highline with engine tune

Daily
    Grey Wolfie Wagon
    2nd Car
    07 Forester XT Lux

Improving 110tsi Highline with engine tune

It sucks beyond the telling of it, but I have to sell my Wolfie wagon for cash to pay for useless builders, then useless solicitors/barrister who lost me a dead simple court case. I'm going to have to get the next car on a loan, and I'm not sure my budget will stretch to $45k. If I can keep it under 30k good, 35k better. I can just scrape in a new Golf Highline 110tsi for 36k. It's going to feel like a deadweight compared to Wolfie obviously (especially since Wolfie is tuned)...

Do many people bother tuning that engine? I used APR last couple of times with no issues. Is the improvement noticeable? Or is it best to just looking at 3yr old BMW 125i M sports?

TIA

Name
    Andrew

That really sucks man.

I'll let others comment on that engine as I don't know much, but if I were in your situation with your replacement budget, I wouldn't get a new Highline, I'd buy a used Mk7 GTI instead. Should get an a good example for around 30k. It's still no Wolfie, but at least you know that you can tune it up should you get the chance.

Daily
    Mk7 Golf R
    2nd Car
    Mk5 1.4 Golf

Hey mate,

Firstly, sorry to hear about your shit go recently. Keep it together mate, it always gets better.

Re the car, to be honest mate, I don't think much is going to feel as good as a tuned wolfie... I have an APR Stage 2 MK7 R, and have driven the 110tsi. While it's not on the same level, it's still not a complete nugget... With a tune it would be a bit better..

I would honestly get a 2ns hand worked mk6r with that budget

Daily
    Mk7.5 Golf Trendline
    2nd Car
    Honda Accord Euro
    Name
    Steven

Not sure if it helps you, but I traded my mk5 GTI (which I'd owned since new for 10 years) just 3 months back on a 110TSi. I'm already planning on trading it for another GTI in 2018. I find the 110kw 1.4 is sluggish and laggy down low. Fuel economy, though is outstanding.

I'm with harmsy - buy a 2nd hand lowish mileage GTI.

Daily
    Grey Wolfie Wagon
    2nd Car
    07 Forester XT Lux

Cheers heaps for the kind words and info guys Much appreciated.

Def decided I’d rather a used GTI (or BMW 135i if I can afford it).

Worst parts about selling wolfie? That I had to do it because of others’ incompetency, and that I had to sell it at a rort price to traders because nobody wanted it. I would’ve sold it for $42k privately, but nobody even offered at 45. Very disappointing.

Name
    Andrew

Trade prices are downright criminal sometimes, but when you're in a rush to sell they have you over a barrel.

If funds are a bit tight, I'd stay away from the 135i. My last car before the R was a 335i (essentially the same car underneath), and it was a heap in upkeep, and I ended up breaking the lease because I was so sick of fixing things. I was quite active in the Bimmer community and everyone had issues, but they loved their money pits. If you must have a 135i, go an N55 engine, not the N54 even though its tempting. The N54 is a great engine, and the best for tuning, but they had so many more issues with all the ancillary parts than the N54.

Daily
    110 TSI RLine
    2nd Car
    Hyundai Getz
    Name
    Brendan

I have a 2015 Highline with Rline package. It's a great car, but if I had my choice again I'd go for a second hand GTI. I'm very likely to break my lease (only got 10 months to go, though) and jump into a M140i or 2018 R.

It's a great car, it's juts a little dull.

Daily
    Grey Wolfie Wagon
    2nd Car
    07 Forester XT Lux

Cheers guys!

Which cars had the N55? I’d have to go second hand, so I’ve been looking from 2014 onwards, newer would be better obviously, but $45k is my absolute limit, and I’d really prefer to keep to around $36k. That’s with finance. There are a couple of ‘15 M135s (under 50,000klms). But since money being a factor I might have to lower it to the 125i M sport (and then maybe tune it and/or add exhaust because it sounds anaemic).

The reasoning for the Beamers is because I’ve been in Golfs for 12 years and I feel like a change. I’d love to whang around a RWD for a while. If I like the feel of this one, I’d be likely to buy an M140 before they go FWD. So maybe if it’s for such a short term I should just stick with the 125 so I’m not wasting toooo much money if I decided to sell it later in the year. Main issue with the Beamers for me is the door aperture is so small it makes getting my wheelchair through a PITA. It’s doable, but not as easy as a Golf. The servicing costs for the Beamer are somewhat a factor mitigated by my preferring cars with the servicing costs included for at least a full year - I realize these aren’t going to include all servicing, but at least it should minimize this concern.

If I decide that getting the wheelchair through (I’ve tested on a 125 and a 328 and it’s the same size aperture) the Beamer is just too much effort (without destroying steering wheel and console etc), then I’ll prob go back to a used Golf.

Which brings me to the GTI 40 Years lol. What a hoot that looks! I reckon it would help me not feel so crappy about losing Wolfie lol. SO EXPENSIVE still though! None under $40k...

+ Reply to Thread