Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve (PCV) broken - advice on Modification

Name
    Bill

Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve (PCV) broken - advice on Modification

Well, twas the week before Christmas, and all through the car, was a huge squealing noise.

2.0 TSI GTI

Tracked it down to a 'known' issue with the PCV poo'ing itself.
    From what I have read thus far, there are 2 lines that run from the oil separator/PCV. 1 to the inlet manifold, the other to the turbos upstream side. The valve determines which side has most vacuum and directs the crank gasses that way. I machined up a bung to block off the inlet manifold side which has stopped the noise, and the lean engine fault code.
    I will still get some limited crank venting to the turbo in this arrangement, and importantly should not pressurize the crank case. But it will not evacuate the blow by as well, and might result in faster oil thinning?? Since most of my KMs are highway, this should not present too much of a problem as the oil will be hot enough to boil off hydrocarbons and water.

My question, is there a reason not to simply leave it with the inlet manifold blocked off? Probably no different that many of the Catch Can setups?

Thanks

Bill

Name
    Bill

An interesting side effect of blocking the PCV line off, is that the CEL Error 2015 (intake manifold air flap error) has disappeared. 2015 is meant to indicate that the actuator at one end of the flaps, has lost sync with the encoder at the other. There are reportedly 3 error codes that can throw with the PCV issue, and 1 of these was flagged (bank lean). But I have no idea (and am happy) that my 2015 error code is now gone. Have waited a few days to see if it decided to come back, but so far so good.

Bill

Daily
    MKVI Golf R
    Name
    Joel

I replaced mine with a stock VW item. A lot of guys use deletes but seem to go back to stock after they run into issues.

The fastest cars I know of all run the stock unit and make upwards of 500hp so if it works for them its fine for me. The only thing that was recommended to go aftermarket was the DV as something like the GFB DV+ is more reliable and consistent.

My car has a few mods btw, just a few
    MK6 R Stage 2+ - 19" rims - Pirelli Pzero - Powerplus 108+ - [email protected]

+ Reply to Thread