Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Apr stage 2 tune

Daily
    A3
    Name
    Raymond

Apr stage 2 tune

Hi All,

APR dealer is telling me i need to pay for stage 1 tune first, then stage 2 tune.

is this correct?

this is for a mk7 R, have mods ready for the stage 2 tune already...

Daily
    Golf GTI mk6
    Name
    Adam

I think thatís right, all stage 2 tune does is cancel the cat fault you you get from your new down pipe and hi flow cat. Please correct me if Iím wtong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daily
    White 2016 Golf R
    Name
    Wayne

What APR dealer are you going to. Yes stage 2 is a free update after you have stage 1

Daily
    Mk7 R

Stage 2 cost would incorporate stage 1 and extra cost for stage 2 which is about $300-400 if you're not using the APR DP. If using the APR DP then it's just price of stage 1.

There is a lot more going on that simply cancelling out the CEL caused by changing DP. It's taken a good 2 years to get the APR stage 2 tune spot on with no surging, power gains across board. Now you can have the exhaust overrun "crackle" also.

I'm very happy with APR but there are other custom tuner's that I would probably go to now if I was doing it now. Like Underground Performance in Melbourne, E tuners or Seeing Parso in sydney. Both seem to get results similar to APR but at cheaper price with a custom tune and before/after dyno.

I just saw your're in NSW so I'd definitely speak to Parso at Recode to see what he can do for you.

Daily
    2016 LSG MK7 R

Last edited by Antony94; 11-05-2018 at 09:17 AM.

Daily
    MK7 R

What is the difference between say a Revo v Recode custom tune if you're just after something fairly standard?

Daily
    MKVI Golf R
    Name
    Joel

I have had custom and APR and have had good and bad experiences with both. To blindly say "screw APR" or any other brand is silly. My APR Stage 2+ was awesome and my 6R went [email protected] in street trim on 19s. I think thats pretty quick for an off the shelf tune. MK7s have gone much quicker. It also allowed me to change from a 98 to 104 octane file for race days using the cruise stalk. As far as I know there are no custom tuners offering that.

Now that I am stage 3 and using parts that APR arent so familiar with I had to go custom so I chose Etuners. Well I actually chose RD Technik but after countless times of contacting them and not receiving a response I looked elsewhere.

I originally purchased the APR TTE420 tune for my setup but it was a very very safe tune, I didn't want that. I want go fast so a more customised tune that allowed me to push it was a better option. My power went from 245awkw APR to 270awkw Etuners which should be good for low 11s.

BUT finding someone that will dedicate the time it takes to get a custom tune right has been the hardest part. A lot of guys out there will simply load a base tune, much like APR then tweak it a little and send you on your way.

What I will say is if you do go "custom" make sure they have a dyno to properly log your car and not ask you to log it on the street. I still can't understand how "reputable" tuners believe this is an acceptable practise.
    MK6 R Stage 2+ - 19" rims - Pirelli Pzero - Powerplus 108+ - [email protected]

Daily
    MK7 R

Quote Originally Posted by Flexatron View Post
    What I will say is if you do go "custom" make sure they have a dyno to properly log your car and not ask you to log it on the street. I still can't understand how "reputable" tuners believe this is an acceptable practise.
    Thanks for the reply Flexatron.

Re the above statement, what additional benefit does the dyno offer vs logging on the street? What is the difference?

(Apologies for the simple questions - I'm pretty clueless as you can tell and haven't started looking into any options yet so just want to get a bit more of an understanding of things before I can narrow it down to say 2 different companies and then make a final decision).

Daily
    MKVI Golf R
    Name
    Joel

No Worries at all mate.

Its just a lot safer, more practical and far more consistent. Im sure more experienced guys will be able to give you their opinion but I personally am not comfortable doing a 3rd gear WOT pull to redline on the street and thats what it usually takes to get the numbers.

Im sure there are benefits to street logging but commonsense would suggest they are far outweighed by the risk you take. Ideally logging at the track would be prefect but not always an option.
    MK6 R Stage 2+ - 19" rims - Pirelli Pzero - Powerplus 108+ - [email protected]

Daily
    MK7 R

Ahh ok I get you and I agree with what you're saying re safely testing on the street etc

Thanks for the reply

I sent you a PM.

+ Reply to Thread