Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Evap Fault - Carbon Canister Replacement

Daily
    VW Golf GTI MKV
    2nd Car
    VW Passat R36 Wagon
    Name
    Jackson

Evap Fault - Carbon Canister Replacement

Hi guys,

Car threw a EVAP fault, had my mechanic scan it and mentioned the Carbon canister needs replacing. Now a genuine one will set me back ~$250, however I've seen OE ones on ebay / ali express for less than $50. Seeing that it is just a canister and a hose, is there any reason why I should go with the cheaper option?

Interesting enough the fault went away after giving a good blast of BP Ultimate. Usual just fill it up on the way home at Caltex or United, can anyone explain the reason behind that?

Daily
    K04 MK5 Jetta
    Name
    Warren

I can't explain the BP Ultimate but I was in the same boat about a year ago on my K04 MK5 Jetta (same engine as the gti), ended up going with the ebay cannister with no issues so far..touch wood

Daily
    S3 Sedan
    2nd Car
    Audi TT
    Name
    Lee

Seems to happen to that genre of engines. You may find that a 20 km drive will extinguish the CEL.

I noticed that if you do not fill the tank to the brim, it will not happen. I reckon an over filled fuel tank caused some fuel to be sucked into the evap control system causing the CEL. Happened to my Mk2 TT and a friend's MkV GTI.
    S3/Audi TT

+ Reply to Thread