Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Performance mods for 2014 R Manual

Performance mods for 2014 R Manual

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of getting a tune to my 2014 R manual but haven't had any of my cars modded before so I wanted to get some advice on which one I should get and which shop to get it done at. I'm based in Parramatta so somewhere local to there would be easiest.

The cars still under warranty so I'm leaning more towards the JB1 mod as I've read it cannot be detected by the dealership where ECU tunes such as APRs stage 1 definitely will even when flashing back to stock.

What's the difference between the JB1 and JB4? Detection wise is one safer than the other?
    Any reason or con to the JB boxes which would prevent people from choosing them and going a full ECU tune instead?

I know the stage 1 tunes seem to be giving slightly more performance than the JB boxes but I'm really not fussed about that I'd rather rest in mind that if something does happen I have a slightly smaller fight to fight with VW to get it fixed. Especially considering all the warranty issues I've already had to run through them. (Door handle snapped off, turbo sensor failed, auto start stop system failed, christmass tree error lights upon startup, air con leak, sun roof visor clip snapped). I've had more issues with this thing in 3 years than 10 years on my Peugeot 206 GTI! And I bought that when it was 4 years old!

I was also looking at getting a haldex tune as well. Is there any issues or anything I need to be aware of before going into this?

Second last mod I wanted to do is get some pops and bangs that the DSG models have into my manual R. I know you can do this by a new exhaust, but I really don't want to go chopping and changing hardware on the car. Is there a software thing you can do to add this?

Last mod, well not really a mod but ever since I bought the car I've REALLY wanted to change the paint colour. Unfortunately at the time of purchase only my car in white was in stock, if I wanted a black one the dealership said they would have to trade for it which would take weeks if not a month. Then they would have to add the paint protection that mine already had applied causing even more delays. At the time I had no car so I really couldn't wait.
    I got a few quotes for a wrap thinking it would be significantly cheaper than a respray. But every quote I've got back is about 5K!
    Anyone know of any simpler cheaper ways of achieving the same effect? I really wanted to go with a matte black effect but it's not worth spending 5K to get there,
    Especially when in a years time max I'll be getting rid of it.

One last thing, I'm due to get some new tyres next week. I'm thinking of getting the Michelin PS4S, thoughts?
    I was looking at the Pirelli PZ4 but have heard the wear on them is no where near as good, and the grips not quite up there either.
    Where do you guys normally get your tyres from? Every shop I contact it seems Michelin must set the pricing because everyone's charging $370. Jax is the cheapest I've found so far, same price as everyone else but for some reason there the only ones offering the $100 rebate if you buy 4.

Thanks for your assistance!

Daily
    MK7 R

Since you're in Parramatta, you've got Arthur at Exoticars who I believe is highly regarding around here and they offer GIAC tunes (both ECU and TCU/DSG).

Others can hopefully give some thoughts or feedback on their experiences with GIAC, and how it might compare to a piggyback option. Tbh I am not sure how 'undetectable' the JB1 and JB4 are these days either.

Yeah Iíve spoken to him Iím going down to see him this arvo of I get some time.

Has anyone done a tune without upgrading their clutch? Some places say they wonít do any tunes without upgrading the clutch, but others say thereís no need to so I really donít know who to believe.

Daily
    Golf R 7 Lapiz Blue
    2nd Car
    VW transporter t6
    Name
    Chris

Just on the clutch issue if you are going to tune it you should factor in a clutch upgrade. There are a few stories on here including mine . I guess you could hope for the best but just make sure it’s in your budget because it’s a fair chance you will need it.

Daily
    MK7 R

If you do decide on going down the JB1 route, i've got one for sale in the classifieds section if you're interested!

+ Reply to Thread