Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII


+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34

Thread: Creaking Strut Tops

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Canberra
    Daily
    mk7 Golf R
    2nd Car
    '08 CBR600RR
    Name
    Troy
    Posts
    276

    Exactly - it shouldn't be happening on such a new and relatively expensive vehicle. There are plenty of irritations I have with my R that shouldn't be happening on such a vehicle, enough so that I dearly regret buying this car as it shits me to tears every time I drive it.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Sydney NSW
    Daily
    2016 LSG MK7 R
    Posts
    260

    Quote Originally Posted by trozzle View Post
    Exactly - it shouldn't be happening on such a new and relatively expensive vehicle. There are plenty of irritations I have with my R that shouldn't be happening on such a vehicle, enough so that I dearly regret buying this car as it shits me to tears every time I drive it.
    Dude that sounds like ur having a nightmare... what would u list as the things you hate with your R right now? What's giving u the shits about it?

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Canberra
    Daily
    mk7 Golf R
    2nd Car
    '08 CBR600RR
    Name
    Troy
    Posts
    276

    I think it's just been more stress and frustration than enjoyment, for me personally. I've learned I hate 19" low profile tyres and am constantly feeling like the roads are kicking the shit out of any load-bearing part of the undercarriage and the resulting creaking/general strange noises I get drive me nuts. I also honestly don't find it the easiest or smoothest car to drive; Even before I got the APR DSG tune done, the way the gearbox behaved and the amount of apparent free-play through the drivetrain can make some driving conditions jerky and sloppy feeling. Manual gear changes are often kinda noisy, which I can't get a definitive answer as to whether it's normal (for example often downshifting from 3rd to 2nd at around 2000rpm makes a quite audible slapping sound).

    I'm totally prepared to accept that most of the reason I'm unhappy with this car is probably over expectation, as in there may be nothing of real concern but I'm feeling such a relatively pricey car shouldn't be making more exterior rattles/creaks etc than my 20 year old Nissan Skyline did.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Sydney NSW
    Daily
    2016 LSG MK7 R
    Posts
    260

    Quote Originally Posted by trozzle View Post
    I think it's just been more stress and frustration than enjoyment, for me personally. I've learned I hate 19" low profile tyres and am constantly feeling like the roads are kicking the shit out of any load-bearing part of the undercarriage and the resulting creaking/general strange noises I get drive me nuts. I also honestly don't find it the easiest or smoothest car to drive; Even before I got the APR DSG tune done, the way the gearbox behaved and the amount of apparent free-play through the drivetrain can make some driving conditions jerky and sloppy feeling. Manual gear changes are often kinda noisy, which I can't get a definitive answer as to whether it's normal (for example often downshifting from 3rd to 2nd at around 2000rpm makes a quite audible slapping sound).

    I'm totally prepared to accept that most of the reason I'm unhappy with this car is probably over expectation, as in there may be nothing of real concern but I'm feeling such a relatively pricey car shouldn't be making more exterior rattles/creaks etc than my 20 year old Nissan Skyline did.
    I see... 19" low profile tyres on stock springs were perfectly fine and smooth for me - I have only noticed the aggression and bumpiness of roads once I installed VWR sport springs - it is quite bumpy in race/sport mode but thats the purpose of them as well as the benefited handling around corners. The creaking should not be happening, applying some silicon grease/lithium grease on the controller arm bushings is suppose to fix that - but as I mentioned previously.. its something we shouldn't have to be needing to do on such modern hatchbacks. The gearbox behaving the way you're describing is very odd, it should not be making an audible slapping sound when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd at 2000rpm... it should quite a pleasant sound to hear. I guess the next car for you to impress you in every aspect would be an Audi RS3 or a Merc of some sort. VW Golf R's are good depending on what you want out of it.

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Hobart
    Daily
    2013 Golf tdi htch
    2nd Car
    2014 Golf tdi wgn
    Name
    Paul
    Posts
    84

    Quote Originally Posted by Antony94 View Post
    ...The creaking should not be happening, applying some silicon grease/lithium grease on the controller arm bushings is suppose to fix that - but as I mentioned previously.. its something we shouldn't have to be needing to do on such modern hatchbacks.
    I find this rattle/creak reappears within a few thousand kilometres of a service. I'm getting the local dealer to apply the grease at every 15,000 service although it reappears around 4,000 - 5,000 k's after a service, more frequently on my 2012/13 hatch and slightly less often on our 2014 wagon.

    A design fault that VW should be offering a lasting fix for.

    Is it easy (without ramps) to apply the grease. Where exactly are these bushes (photos?) and what exact grease is used, silicone or lithium?
    I'd like to apply it myself if it's an easy DIY.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Canberra
    Daily
    mk7 Golf R
    2nd Car
    '08 CBR600RR
    Name
    Troy
    Posts
    276

    This car has actually turned my off any VAG vehicle in future. Once it's out of lease, I'm going to get rid of it, and go back to the performance vehicles I trust (at least so far as being able to modify and fix them myself in the backyard when they have issues, and without having to take out a small loan to do so). Got an '05 factory MRT WRX under a cover at home, hasn't been on the road for a while....but I think that'll be my go-fast car after this.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Sydney NSW
    Daily
    2016 LSG MK7 R
    Posts
    260

    Hi guys, I have tried applying silicon grease to the control arm bushings, it is easy to do if you jack the car up and remove the front 2 wheels, easy to reach and spray. The creaking however is still there when entering a driveway on an angle as you would normally do. I guess its a little aspect I'll have to live with.. its not hindering performance its just annoying to hear it.. guess one way to avoid hearing it is to have the music up lol.. maybe I'll remove the front 2 wheels again sometime and try some lithium grease instead and soak up either side alot more... doubt it will make a difference tho - I think it is the way it is. VW wont check it out and fix it if you have aftermarket springs or coilovers. But VW did tell me there is a TPI for the creaking suspension, and they told me that lithium grease/silicon spray is the way to go. But as we found on this thread, this issue is very common with standard suspension setups too.. and despite being fixed by VW, the issue still reappears with time.. nothing we can do by the look of it, unless we wanna go ahead and pull apart the suspension, add new parts... but fk that - I'd go crazy if I did all that and the sound re-appeared in a few months. I have noticed however that the creaking sound has started to happen recently as the weather has gotten pretty cold in Sydney... and winter is also about to arrive.. I guess I'll have to wait till Spring/Summer towards the end of this year when the weather gets warmer again & I'll be able to see if the creaking goes away!

  8. #28
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Melbourne
    Daily
    Golf GTI MK7 PP
    2nd Car
    Golf GTI MK6
    Name
    Paul
    Posts
    26

    I had clunking noises coming from the front of mine which I had complained about since new. VW Dealer did not fix it did TPI with grease and so on. Post Warranty bought the 034 Strut Mount Tops and replaced the Control Arm bushes which did not fix the issue in fact made it worse. Took it back to the VW dealer yet again they blamed the strut mounts (go figure). So reluctantly I agreed to put the standard ones back (new ones) and they also replaced the Strut mount bearings. Noise so far has not appeared. The control arm bushes were not replaced.

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Brisbane
    Daily
    Golf R
    Name
    Simon
    Posts
    34

    ^^^
    So you're thinking strut mount bearings?

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Canberra
    Daily
    mk7 Golf R
    2nd Car
    '08 CBR600RR
    Name
    Troy
    Posts
    276

    Mild clunking noise of mine was seemingly rectified by strut top bearings, only to return within a couple of weeks.

    Have my car booked in with original dealership on Tuesday to look into another odd sound and will probably mention it again, but not getting my hopes up they'll give a shit.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts