Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Infotainment Problems

Daily
    Mk 7 GTI
    Name
    Chris

Infotainment Problems

Hi there,

I've got a 2013 MY14 GTI with the 5.8' multimedia system. In the last couple of months it hasn't been turning on with the car, I have had to manually turn it on each time and it feels like it is going through a full boot up and takes a fair while to start. If I start the car I can wait 30-40 seconds just to use the reversing camera.

It has no also started randomly powering off in 10 minute intervals.

I pulled the unit out and had a look inside but nothing obvious seems to be wrong with it.

Has anyone else experienced this? What did you do to fix it? Do I just get a replacement from a wrecker or am I better off upgrading the whole thing to an 8inch system?

Thanks in advance.

Daily
    Golf 103TSI
    2nd Car
    Polo (6R)

Quote Originally Posted by johnnycrockett View Post
    Hi there,

I've got a 2013 MY14 GTI with the 5.8' multimedia system. In the last couple of months it hasn't been turning on with the car, I have had to manually turn it on each time and it feels like it is going through a full boot up and takes a fair while to start. If I start the car I can wait 30-40 seconds just to use the reversing camera.

It has no also started randomly powering off in 10 minute intervals.

I pulled the unit out and had a look inside but nothing obvious seems to be wrong with it.

Has anyone else experienced this? What did you do to fix it? Do I just get a replacement from a wrecker or am I better off upgrading the whole thing to an 8inch system?

Thanks in advance.
    Johnny: hi - that's mighty odd behavior indeed. Have you tried resetting the infotainment system yet? If not - try this: with the unit switched-on, hold down the ON/OFF button (the circular knob on the LHS) until the unit switches-off and then switches-on again. The unit will then go through its start-up sequence

I assume that you haven't been playing with the coding in the infotainment system recently - this can sometimes result in odd behavior. Perhaps the unit has developed an internal fault - it would be prudent to hook-up a diagnostic cable (like VCDS, or OBDeleven) to your car to confirm what's happening. Do you know anyone (perhaps a forum colleague) that has access to this piece-of-kit?

The other thing that might be worth considering - you should be aware that the infotainment system on a mk7 is included in what VW call the "Component Protection (CP) constellation". CP is a facility that VW says is meant to combat the black market trade in stolen parts. Regardless of whether you believe this, or you are of the view that CP simply embeds the role of dealers deeper into the car's maintenance -control modules like the infotainment system have their identity especially recorded in a secure part of the car's database when installed at the factory. This means that the only official way of replacing a CP control module is by connecting the car to VW's master facility in Germany (it's called FAZIT) to change the identity in car's secure database. Only registered dealers have FAZIT connections.

What normally happens if you retrofit a new entertainment unit to a mk7 is that you will generate at least 2 x CP errors (one in the module @ address hex5F and another in the module @ address hex19). From a user perspective, the effect of a CP error normally is that some vital part of the new infotainment unit won't work - usually no sound and/or no volume control. The only way to fix this is to remove the CP error and the only (official) way to remove CP errors is via a dealer (at a cost). Just something more to consider

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 07-04-2019 at 07:30 PM.
    Golf MkVII (103 TSI) my13

Daily
    Mk 7 GTI
    Name
    Chris

Hi Don,

Thanks so much for the detailed response.

I've tried the reset option, usually this is how to turn it back on when it cuts out while driving.

I will certainly see if I can run a scan as I haven't tried that and see what that shows up.

I haven't switched out any parts so I can't imagine that CP has kicked in but would be interesting if it has.

Thanks again.

Daily
    Golf MkVII GTI Perfo
    Name
    Tim

Hi Johnnycrockett, I have exactly the same issue. 2015 GTI PP. Black screen after I start the car, need to press the button to turn it on, slow boot up and and slow to connect bluetooth. Have tried factory reset, leaving battery disconnected etc. I do not have any faults in VCDS.

The car is out of warranty, but I still wasted time and a $160/hr diagnostic fee at the dealer to tell me that the problem is caused by the APR tune I have on the car. Removing the tune did not resolve the issue. I still have not been able to solve it. Super annoying.

Have you been able to resolve this?

Daily
    VW Golf 2001 GL 5sp
    2nd Car
    R33 Skyrine
    Name
    Rob

I also had the issue with my 2016 Trendline that my system would turn off at around 10 minutes after turning it on. I was finding that it would just power cycle most trips. It started for me pretty soon after a service where I think they updated the firmware. Possibly coincidental timing but seems like a problem with the new software to me.
    I also began having issues late last year where the reversing camera would not show about 30% of the time.
    I don't think I ever had the issue of the system failing to start when i started the car though.

That car was killed by hail. Replaced with a 2020 Trendline and so far has been a very smooth experience with the infotainment system.

Just realised this was an old-ish post.

Daily
    Mk 7 GTI
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by timmehs View Post
    Hi Johnnycrockett, I have exactly the same issue. 2015 GTI PP. Black screen after I start the car, need to press the button to turn it on, slow boot up and and slow to connect bluetooth. Have tried factory reset, leaving battery disconnected etc. I do not have any faults in VCDS.

The car is out of warranty, but I still wasted time and a $160/hr diagnostic fee at the dealer to tell me that the problem is caused by the APR tune I have on the car. Removing the tune did not resolve the issue. I still have not been able to solve it. Super annoying.

Have you been able to resolve this?
    No I haven't as yet. I have the same symptoms as you. Rather than pay for a dealer to tell me what I already know I decided to try and figure it out for myself. A VCDS scan brings up the following faults;

Address 17: Instruments
    3 Faults Found:

16777018 - Function Restricted due to Interrupted Communications
    U1110 00 [008] - -
    [New feature! Extended UDS fault detail is only supported by current gen. interfaces]
    Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
    Freeze Frame:
    Fault Status: 00000001
    Fault Priority: 6
    Fault Frequency: 2
    Reset counter: 176
    Mileage: 110595 km
    Date: 2020.07.06
    Time: 07:37:04

16777020 - Function Restricted due to Interrupted Communications
    U1110 00 [008] - -
    [New feature! Extended UDS fault detail is only supported by current gen. interfaces]
    Freeze Frame:
    Time: 07:37:03

16777022 - Function Restricted due to Interrupted Communications
    U1110 00 [008] - -
    Freeze Frame:
    Time: 07:37:03

Address 19: CAN Gateway
    1 Fault Found:

66052 - Infotainment CAN Bus (SAE Bus E)
    U0065 00 [008] - Performance
    Freeze Frame:
    Fault Priority: 2
    Fault Frequency: 4
    Reset counter: 178
    Time: 07:37:01

Supply voltage: Terminal 30: 14.6 V
    Terminal 15: On

Based on these faults, they appear when the infotainment reboots. So I'm guessing either an issue with the CAN BUS wiring or faulty glove box unit. So I pulled the glove box unit out and dissembled it. Visually, everything looked intact and there were no obvious (to me) issues. Which leads me back to thinking the software might be the culprit.

I have head unit 5G0 035 846 A and it is currently running version 0430 firmware. From what I have been able to find out, there is 0421, 0430, 0450 and I think 0486 versions of the firmware so there is some hope that an updated firmware may help but also the risk that I could pay the local dealer to do it and it won't solve the problem but that's probably my first option.

+ Reply to Thread