Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pay to Play kicks in for me. Blown engine Stage 2 :(

Pay to Play kicks in for me. Blown engine Stage 2 :(

Whelp, After 77,000km of pure fun on my 2016 Stage 2 Golf R, its time to say bye bye.

What happened? Cyl 2 piston busted / damaged. Low compression < 120PSI
    How it happened? Current theory: Injectors failed temporarily, causing cylinder to overheat due to bad mixture and breaking apart the spark plug. Every time we put a new spark plug in, it just breaks it apart now as the cylinder is damaged. (Cyl 2)
    Was tune at fault? Doesn't help. Normally injectors failing wouldn't cause a cylinder to break that easily, but extra power means extra risk.

Lost a lot of money on this one. With a series of problems since tuning it. No I don't drive like a manic. Mostly commute on M5, all highway KMs. Could happen to anyone I guess.

Other FAQ:
    Did you try reversing everything and take it to a dealer for warranty? - yes. ECU was scanned and TD1 was raised. Reversing tunes does f** all for major claims.

How much did you lose? $10,000 to $15,000 + and earlier diff issue so close to $20,000.

What did you do? Sold the car as-is for mechanic to fix up in his own time. Now have a new Golf R. Lol. I'll prob get RS3 in the future. Had enough with tuning for now. Not worth it for me anymore.

Who was the tuner?: Doesn't matter. I'm not blaming them and don't want to cause a fuss.

Daily
    2016 LSG MK7 R

Must have been a lemon. :P too many people running Stage 2 tunes on their MK7ís and they are all healthy *knock on wood*. you will tune again my friend, itís an addiction and the extra power is always craved once u get a taste of it!!

Daily
    Mk7 Golf R Wagon
    Name
    Sok

I just had the same issue... how much did you end up selling to mechanic for?

I am working with my mechanic to see if I can source a second-hand engine...

How did you end up going sokkie? Did you find your engine?

I don't recommend selling as you won't get offered much for a car with no engine. I could have repaired it, then sold it and made at least another $5000. I'm very certain the mechanic could profit double that but he planning to keep it for his track car. I got too impatient and just wanted to get a new car as fast as possible.

So I calculated my losses based on my stupid patience and poof now own a MK 7.5, and love it.

But I'll be buying a wreaked MK7.5 with an engine, gearbox, diff etc first as a spare before I tune my car to a Stage 2 again. I still don't know why this happened, but its clear now that tuning has a lot more risk than what your made to believe.
    Last edited by ultramoo; 02-10-2019 at 09:52 AM.

Daily
    My 16 Golf R
    2nd Car
    Nissan Dualis
    Name
    lenny

Sad news.

What kw and Nm were you running?

Quote Originally Posted by lenny555 View Post
    Sad news.

What kw and Nm were you running?
    See this post for details : http://www.vwgolf.net.au/showthread....o-Race-results

+ Reply to Thread