Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pay to Play kicks in for me. Blown engine Stage 2 :(

Pay to Play kicks in for me. Blown engine Stage 2 :(

Whelp, After 77,000km of pure fun on my 2016 Stage 2 Golf R, its time to say bye bye.

What happened? Cyl 2 piston busted / damaged. Low compression < 120PSI
    How it happened? Current theory: Injectors failed temporarily, causing cylinder to overheat due to bad mixture and breaking apart the spark plug. Every time we put a new spark plug in, it just breaks it apart now as the cylinder is damaged. (Cyl 2)
    Was tune at fault? Doesn't help. Normally injectors failing wouldn't cause a cylinder to break that easily, but extra power means extra risk.

Lost a lot of money on this one. With a series of problems since tuning it. No I don't drive like a manic. Mostly commute on M5, all highway KMs. Could happen to anyone I guess.

Other FAQ:
    Did you try reversing everything and take it to a dealer for warranty? - yes. ECU was scanned and TD1 was raised. Reversing tunes does f** all for major claims.

How much did you lose? $10,000 to $15,000 + and earlier diff issue so close to $20,000.

What did you do? Sold the car as-is for mechanic to fix up in his own time. Now have a new Golf R. Lol. I'll prob get RS3 in the future. Had enough with tuning for now. Not worth it for me anymore.

Who was the tuner?: Doesn't matter. I'm not blaming them and don't want to cause a fuss.

Daily
    2016 LSG MK7 R

Must have been a lemon. :P too many people running Stage 2 tunes on their MK7ís and they are all healthy *knock on wood*. you will tune again my friend, itís an addiction and the extra power is always craved once u get a taste of it!!

Daily
    Mk7 Golf R Wagon
    Name
    Sok

I just had the same issue... how much did you end up selling to mechanic for?

I am working with my mechanic to see if I can source a second-hand engine...

How did you end up going sokkie? Did you find your engine?

I don't recommend selling as you won't get offered much for a car with no engine. I could have repaired it, then sold it and made at least another $5000. I'm very certain the mechanic could profit double that but he planning to keep it for his track car. I got too impatient and just wanted to get a new car as fast as possible.

So I calculated my losses based on my stupid patience and poof now own a MK 7.5, and love it.

But I'll be buying a wreaked MK7.5 with an engine, gearbox, diff etc first as a spare before I tune my car to a Stage 2 again. I still don't know why this happened, but its clear now that tuning has a lot more risk than what your made to believe.
    Last edited by ultramoo; 02-10-2019 at 09:52 AM.

Daily
    My 16 Golf R
    2nd Car
    Nissan Dualis
    Name
    lenny

Sad news.

What kw and Nm were you running?

+ Reply to Thread