Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Your Previous Rides

Daily
    MKV R32
    2nd Car
    R32 GT-R
    Name
    Justin Fox

I'd so be one of those yuppies in the X5, alone. Muahahahhaha. Yew!

And damn Cam you're on a good path there!!!!

1972 Volkswagen Superbug
    This was it - it was my dream car and I had gotten it just like that at 16! Alas, life is not that easy!! I had a minor accident in this car and spent a weekend with the help of my lovely brother patching the front left guard with fibreglass (gahhh it hurts!!). I didn't have this for long enough, because it was a Superbug, it had the fat fat wheels and 1.6 engine. I had great difficulty driving this car. It was a serious challenge whilst also learning how to drive manual. But I loved it so so much. It was time to get my P's though, so onto my next....

2001 Mitsubishi Mirage
    This was my birthday present from my dad, the car I would thrash like crazy and absolutely enjoyed driving. There were so many plans for this car, I joined JDMST soon after owning it and met some pretty amazing people that have shaped my life in so many different ways in the past few years. JDMST is also where I met Brendan (Serial Killa) my partner. Sadly, this car was stolen and it was a pretty public and painful experience to go through. I couldn't believe how much it hurt - I think it was because I was only just beginning to learn so much more about the way I drive and how to look after a car mechanically.

1980 Toyota Corolla KE55
    Ahhhh - back to almost old school! I bought this off Ebay for $1500 on a whim. I then spent a tonne of cash on its suspension and drove it around the way it was for a year and a bit. It was one of the most fun cars i've ever owned. Fun to drive, fun to own. It started everytime - maybe not the first time, but it started!! This car was also where I first learnt how to change a clutch with the help of a great friend who committed his time and knowledge to my car. This car was loud and FUN. It was a rust box though.... and I soon realised I couldn't hang onto it much longer, I didn't have the cash to look after it the way it needed to be.

2007 Mazda 2 Neo
    I've been driving it for almost a year now and I enjoy it as it gets me from A to B with no hassles. No more clunks, no more rattles, no more questions in my mind "will this car start... please start?". My only issue with this car is its lack of power and handling. It will soon be time to upgrade again methinks!

That's it for now.... But soon... my love for VW's will be re-ignited!!!!
    Last edited by shida; 21-02-2010 at 09:05 PM.

Daily
    A squashed Beetle
    2nd Car
    Golf MKV R32
    Name
    Howie

OK my turn!

Started off with a HONDA CIVIC ED 1991 HATCHBACK:

In 2001 it was well worn and fantastic little car but it was not without its problems. I broke a radiator, head gasket, starter motor, etc. Basically all the little things that keep the damn thing running. Being my first set of wheels it was my ticket to freedom and at the age of 21 it didn't come soon enough! I kept it for a year because of all the problems... and swore never to buy a used car again.

In 2002: HONDA INTEGRA TYPE R (DC5R) 2002:

Despite being disappointed with the severely watered down version of the JDM DC5R, I bought it new in 2002. I had spent half a year looking for a mint DC2R in Championship White but there weren't any around! Using it as a daily commute and for track work it was still an extremely capable track car, regardless of what the motoring journos said. It was by far the best FWD chassis on the market at the time. I loved it...

Actually, I loved it soooo much that I couldn't admit to myself that I loathed the damn thing.

The suspension was mismatched for Australia; the dampening was way too stiff for the springs and the ride height was just insane. Oh how I tried to fix it by slapping on HKS hipermax II coil-overs, putting on semi-slick tyres and trying to make up for the power taxed by 10% for Australia by modifying the intake but I was just too disappointed. I just really wanted the DC2R! (Hmm sounds like an echo in here, Justin?)

I put up with it for 5 whole years and sold it after deciding that the piss-weak torque and uninspiring chassis feel was just too much to bear. Another car by then had caught my eye...

2008: VOLKSWAGEN GOLF MKV .:R32 3DOOR DSG

Upping up the displacement from 2.0L to 3.2L was always going to impress, but what really got me into the seat of this little hot hatch was that spine tingling V6 bark and AWD traction. It was more doughy and heavier than the DC5R but this was a car that wasn't pretending to be a track car. It was a grown up hatchback with serious ability. Whilst not as agile as the GTI, this car with all its standard equipment was actually a great bargain. The torque delivery is FAT and bulbous, hitting you with its peak torque harder and lower than ANY production Honda has or since ever made.

I still have this baby, but we needed another grocery getter for the household and having being so impressed by the VW stable, in 2009 the Golf 6 was just around the corner...

2009: VOLKSWAGEN GOLF MKVI 118TSI DSG

Picked up new in 2009, I knew right from the start that this car was gonna go places. I was right. Having won European COTY and Australian COTY this car was the perfect everyday small family car. It makes a decent noise too: Low down supercharger whine followed by the spooling of that tiny snail, it's 1.4L displacement really feels like an atmo 2.5L. Impeccable fit and finish plus cushy but still capable ride and handling. This is a deserving winner.

And it was hard to let it go. After only being in our stables for 8 months we had decided on another car so I put the decision to my missus. She could choose the R32 or TSI as HER car... and it was done. She's now enjoying the R32 and I had already purchased another beast from a cousin of the VW group...

2009: PORSCHE 911 997 MARK II CARRERA C2 PDK

Decided to help out the local Porsche dealership after the GFC... I bought it new while we still had the TSI.

That's all I can really say about this car because I'm still finding the words to describe this feeling....

Last edited by Howie; 21-02-2010 at 09:36 PM.

Daily
    R32 MKV
    Name
    Christina

Howie, your Porsche is INSANE!!!!!

Daily
    Mk3Love <3
    Name
    Devin

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    2009: PORSCHE 911 997 MARK II CARRERA C2 PDK
    I looked at that and went "I'm SORRY?!?!" I was already impressed by the time I saw the R32, you didn't have to hit me with a double whammy!

I'd love to get on-topic but it's really not physically possible.. I've had the one car, and the one car only so far. It's treating me well though (despite something breaking every time you look at it with your head tilted) so I don't think I'll be able to update this post for another few years.. And when that time comes, who knows, Mk4 R32?
    No longer rockin the VR-Sex. Onto bigger and better.

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    Johnny the mini is awesome. How long did you have the Civic for before you got rid of it?
    Thanks the MINI was supurb and Civic Type R sold after owning it for 11 months

Some pics of my BMW E36 M3 SMG

Click on links below to access my galleries
    NEWSYS Digital Photography or VW Specific Photographs

Quote Originally Posted by SUGA View Post
    Howie, your Porsche is INSANE!!!!!
    I second that
    Click on links below to access my galleries
    NEWSYS Digital Photography or VW Specific Photographs

Daily
    MKV R32
    2nd Car
    R32 GT-R
    Name
    Justin Fox

^ Always been curious about those M3's with the old SMG. I've been on carsales so many nights looking for a clean one but never took the risk of buying one (probably never will too).

Shida I had no idea you 1st car was a Beetle! How awesome!

Howie's the man. He let me drive his DC5R before I bought mine. He took Suga and I for a long drive before Suga decided to buy her R32 too. And the Porsche. He handed me the keys and let me boot it. I mean seriously. I'm in debt my friend. That's an accelerating experience I'll not forget too quickly!

I haven't got pics of all of them but i'll use googled images in their place

Number 1:

197X Datsun 120Y (not the actual car, but same colour and level of awesomeness)

My mum gave me this car. She bought it the year I was born and kept it till I inherited it

Loved it to bits and wish I still had it

Your car has been crushed into a cube, you have 30 minutes to remove your cube

Number 2:

My first turbo car!

1980something Turbo Charade

I bought it when I was still in highschool so was the only cat in year 12 with a turbo car. God amongst men, really :P

It was at this point that i realised that old FWD cars with too much power really really suck

(not it, but similar to)

Number 3:

My first (real) Nissan

1990 Nissan S13 Silvia

Originally came with a CA18DE but at least it was manual

Had it for a while and converted to SR20DET but eventually sold it to move out of home

Number 4:

Cressida.... don't wanna talk about it

(same as this one)

Number 5:

Lancer Wagon

Yeah whatever

Like this but white, and RHD

Number 6:

The best one!

Daily
    A squashed Beetle
    2nd Car
    Golf MKV R32
    Name
    Howie

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyG View Post
    Thanks the MINI was supurb and Civic Type R sold after owning it for 11 months

Some pics of my BMW E36 M3 SMG
    Six throttles.... Droool....

The straight-six from BMW must be the best six cylinder engine ever conceived...

+ Reply to Thread