Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Radiator Fan staying on!

Radiator Fan staying on!

Hi All,

I have had a recurring problem with my 2002 Golf. The radiator fan will come on as soon as I start the engine and will stay on after the car has been switched off.

I have recently replaced the coolant sensor but this has failed to fix the problem and furthermore I now have a coolant sensor warning come on every time I switch on the car. The temperature gauge is locked at zero and the heating unit is now blowing cold air. I am now being told that my thermostat needs changing.

I am not convinced that this is the problem because the car was previously heating up normally and the fan would still stay on. The only fault code present is the O2 sensor which I am told is unrelated.

I am thinking that perhaps there is a fault present with the radiator coolant switch which would explain all of the above but my mechanic tells me he has already checked this out and it is working fine.

Has anyone ever come across a similar problem and could you please offer some advice?

Daily
    MK4 2.0T
    2nd Car
    Local POS
    Name
    George M

The radiators fans unfortunatelly is the only area that does not report to the ECU.
    So you will not get a fault code.

Need to take it to a mechanic, that knows the procedure to check the fan controller. Its in the workshop manual..
    Basically you jumper some of the connections to see if each fan works individually, if they both work, then the controller is faulty.

If you still have the old coolant sensor, MUST be a green top, put it back.
    The older black top sensors fail all the time.

Daily
    Not a Golf
    Name
    Walshy

How long does the fan stay on after you switch it off? If it's only a minute or two that's normal.

Daily
    2004 .:R32
    2nd Car
    1975 Golf LS
    Name
    Pedro

Yeah what scruff said, If its any longer you'll be getting flat batteries. but there is a mod you can do to fix this, ill see if i can dig it up.

Daily
    2002 1.6L Golf
    Name
    Tom

i have a similar problem with my 02 Golf, however i just removed the relay and plugged it back in today and it has been fine since. Could give it a try?

Daily
    2002 1.6L Golf
    Name
    Tom

Mine ended up being the fan control module. It had a short and once I replaced that everything was fine

I have the same problem. The battery goes flat as a result. I have had a lot of work done on it and it has cost me A LOT of money and still the some problem occurs.

I've got the same symptoms as you and have been told to replace the themostat but I am looking into different options. I've had the coolant gauge replaced and the same problem keeps happening. I've been told it could be sticky relay?

How did you go with yours, would love to know if you've had it fixed and what was involved, what was fixed, and how much it cost. Please help!

Hi Type 17 - did you manage to find out what this problem could be? Any insight would be much appreciated!

Daily
    2001 VW Golf 1.6L
    2nd Car
    2003 Mitsubishi Evo
    Name
    Alex

Hey guys,

Im going to bump/revive this thread.

I also, have this issue which has just started occuring. My battery is now dead and dropped a cell so I require a new one.

At first I didnt think much of it because I assumed the fan running for 1-2mins was normal, but after walking from the car I didnt realise it was still running. Is there anything I should be looking at? Any others recently had this issue?

Regards

+ Reply to Thread