Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: exhaust switch for Golf R

Daily
    Golf R
    2nd Car
    Daytona 675
    Name
    Mark

exhaust switch for Golf R

i heard about this mod from Pedro whos done it to his mk4 R32 and i cant see why it cant work for our Rs as well.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...t-Valve-Switch

i like this idea more than the standard 'flapper' vasectomy approach. plus the thought of using a wanky little switch in the centre switch array makes me all tingly in loins

tomorrow morning when im hopefully not still drunk i will get under the car and trace the wire from the vacuum pump and see if i can find it in the main loom

11 CW Golf R | DSG | 5 Door | ACC | RVC | Bluetooth | Leather | Dynaudio | Euro Plate Delete | P3 Display

VWGolf.net.au Sponsor Greg Roles's Avatar
    Daily
    MK V GT TDI
    Name
    Greg Roles

In your shoes I'd absolutey be doing that, and the good news is new blanks for the centre console switches are very cheap, but most dealers will have to get them in from Germany, I think I bought the first ones in the country and they took ages. I went with aftermarket switches, and whilst they don't look as good as OEM, they were a lot cheaper. I'll watch this with interest as I would love to tidy up my switches, so I hope you can source some OEM style switches outside VW.
    Greg aka Cogdoc
    MK V GT TDI with a few mods.

WEB: Carformance | ECU tuning |
    Facebook: CarformanceAU YouTube: CarformanceAU

Daily
    .:R32
    2nd Car
    Aston Martin One77
    Name
    John

This makes me happy in the pants too. Good luck.

Daily
    2012 Golf R
    2nd Car
    2007 Jetta
    Name
    Joseph

Good luck, I would love to see your results, and possibly emulate!
    Now: 2012 Golf R DSG | BMPE | Bilstein PSS10 | GIAC |

Gone: 2006 A3 8PA Sportback 2.0T | BrilliantBlack | GIAC | Neuspeed Torque Arm Insert | Bilstein PSS10 | Forge Catch Can | Dbilas intake |

Gone: 2003 MK4 Golf 2.0 Sport | Bilstein PSS9 |

Daily
    BMW 135i
    2nd Car
    VW Tiguan 147tsi
    Name
    Darren

Nice one Mark, subscribed.
    SOLD | MY11 Golf R - Rising Blue - 5DR - DSG - 19" Black OZ Ultralegerra HLT - Leather - Sunroof - MDI - Bluefin - Milltek Exhaust - Kerscher Lip
    Now | 2013 Bmw 135i - Alpine White - DCT - Sunroof - Pro Nav - Boston Black Leather - Black Grills - Kerscher Lip - 19" Mercury Silver Rays G25's - BMW Performance Power Kit

Daily
    Barina SXI
    2nd Car
    Golf R
    Name
    Chris

Is this like the "Flap mod" ? If so i just have it permanently "on".
    Otherwise I found with bluefin (which makes engine run richer) one of the two exhaust tailpipes ends up obviously blacker than the other.
    The Car: MY11 Candy White Golf R, DSG, 5 Door, Adaptive Chassis Control, Sunroof.
    Stuff;- ADV1 5.1 Gloss Black 18" x 8.5" ET48; Falken RT615, semi slicks; Slotted rotors; RNS510; BlueFin; Sprint booster; VW Racing CAI; VAGCOM VCDS, Black front VW Emblem, OSIR Console pod with gauges, 300W Sub woofer, 42DD Catch Can, Flap mod. Rear View Cam, Alloy oil filter

Daily
    Mk6 Golf R

Always hear about the flapper mod but been too lazy to try it out...

Daily
    Barina SXI
    2nd Car
    Golf R
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by dave-r View Post
    Always hear about the flapper mod but been too lazy to try it out...
    here is the thread of how i did it.

http://www.vwgolf.net.au/showthread....-is-this/page4

Chris
    The Car: MY11 Candy White Golf R, DSG, 5 Door, Adaptive Chassis Control, Sunroof.
    Stuff;- ADV1 5.1 Gloss Black 18" x 8.5" ET48; Falken RT615, semi slicks; Slotted rotors; RNS510; BlueFin; Sprint booster; VW Racing CAI; VAGCOM VCDS, Black front VW Emblem, OSIR Console pod with gauges, 300W Sub woofer, 42DD Catch Can, Flap mod. Rear View Cam, Alloy oil filter

Daily
    Mk6 Golf R
    Name
    James

haha I love the switch picture

pressing the button should boost bass to +10 and force all passengers to wear their caps backwards too

Currently driving: MY11 VW Golf R
    | 5 door DSG | Rising Blue | 19" Talladega Silver | ACC | Leather Interior w/ Elec Drivers Seat | Satellite Navigation | 300w DynAudio | Bluetooth | MDI |
    Previous: MY06 Ford Focus XR5 Turbo
    | 5 door Manual | Metallic Orange | Leather Interior |

Before that: MY03 Mazda RX8
    | Coupe Manual | Metallic Red | Leather Interior | 300w BOSE Audio |

Daily
    Golf R
    2nd Car
    Daytona 675
    Name
    Mark

had a little bit of a investigate.

first i jacked up the car and followed the route of the vacuum line from the flapper valve to the motor. it lead me to the left rear wheel arch.
    i jacked up the car and removed the inner guard lining where i could just see the unit. its held on by 2 bolts..

i undid the 2 bolts and carefully pulled the unit out. making paying close attention to how i disconnected the 3 hoses and electrical connector. now i was able to pull out the pump

note the sphere shaped pressure chamber, the little rectangular box is actually the pump.

although i didnt strictly need to remove the whole unit it made it easier to get to the electrical plug so i could examine the wires.
    the wire in question is the light blue one with the white trace.

once i put everything back together i moved to the front passenger foot well. its along the left hand sill that the wiring harness runs to the back of the car. once removing the trim i was able to carefully look through the loom and find the light blue with white trace wire

unfortunately this was as far as i got today as dicksmith was closed so and i didnt have any spare wire. i also need to wait for my carstyle4you switch to arrive which i've just ordered which i will use to turn the circuit on and off…

Last edited by zz2; 07-08-2011 at 07:57 PM.

11 CW Golf R | DSG | 5 Door | ACC | RVC | Bluetooth | Leather | Dynaudio | Euro Plate Delete | P3 Display

+ Reply to Thread