Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dont over tighten your wheel bolts

Daily
    Barina SXI
    2nd Car
    Golf R
    Name
    Chris

Dont over tighten your wheel bolts

A short lesson on torque of bolts, particularly wheel lug bolts.

All nuts and bolts have a recommended tightening torque based on the size of the bold (10mm 12mm etc) and the thread pitch (1.0, 1.25, 1.5 etc)

The chart below shows typical wheel lug sizes etc.

I am posting this because I guarantee most of you have your wheel lugs far too tight. There are only a few rare mechanical problems caused by overtight nuts but a lot of physical ones.

Damaged wheels and mudguards when you stand on the wheel brace and it fly's off.
    Sagged knuckles.
    Divorce because the wife cant change the wheels because bolts are too tight. If they are correct a women can easily undo them.

As you can see from the chart a 12mm x 1.5 bolt (typical VW wheel bolt) has a tighten torque of 80 Foot pounds (108Nm)

We will deal in foot pounds because its easy for a human to associate.

Your average VW wheel brace is 1 foot long. So, if you placed 80 pounds of weight at the end of the brace the bolt would be tightened to its correct torque.

To put it another way. If you weigh 90 kilos (200 pounds) and you bounce your weight on the end of the wheel brace to tighten the bolt you have just over tightened it by over 200%. That is exactly why you can't undo them.

Now I am not suggesting anyone have their wheel bolts too loose but you can see an average person can easily over tighten them.

After rallying cars for years and always tightened wheel bolts/nuts to the specifications I have never had one come loose or fall off. And they are always easy to undo in a flash.

Chris
    The Car: MY11 Candy White Golf R, DSG, 5 Door, Adaptive Chassis Control, Sunroof.
    Stuff;- ADV1 5.1 Gloss Black 18" x 8.5" ET48; Falken RT615, semi slicks; Slotted rotors; RNS510; BlueFin; Sprint booster; VW Racing CAI; VAGCOM VCDS, Black front VW Emblem, OSIR Console pod with gauges, 300W Sub woofer, 42DD Catch Can, Flap mod. Rear View Cam, Alloy oil filter

Daily
    MK6 Golf GTI
    2nd Car
    My Legs :) haha
    Name
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by ozmale View Post

All nuts and bolts have a recommended tightening torque based on the size of the bold (10mm 12mm etc) and the thread pitch (1.0, 1.25, 1.5 etc)

I am posting this because I guarantee most of you have your wheel lugs far too tight. There are only a few rare mechanical problems caused by overtight nuts but a lot of physical ones.

Damaged wheels and mudguards when you stand on the wheel brace and it fly's off.
    Sagged knuckles.
    Divorce because the wife cant change the wheels because bolts are too tight. If they are correct a women can easily undo them.

As you can see from the chart a 12mm x 1.5 bolt (typical VW wheel bolt) has a tighten torque of 80 Foot pounds (108Nm)

Your average VW wheel brace is 1 foot long. So, if you placed 80 pounds of weight at the end of the brace the bolt would be tightened to its correct torque.

To put it another way. If you weigh 90 kilos (200 pounds) and you bounce your weight on the end of the wheel brace to tighten the bolt you have just over tightened it by over 200%. That is exactly why you can't undo them.

Now I am not suggesting anyone have their wheel bolts too loose but you can see an average person can easily over tighten them.

After rallying cars for years and always tightened wheel bolts/nuts to the specifications I have never had one come loose or fall off. And they are always easy to undo in a flash.

Chris
    good post thats why its always handy to have the torque wrench lieing around
    Mods + More Mods + GIAC =

Daily
    MY09 MKV R32
    2nd Car
    MY09 ForesterXT
    Name
    Brad

hahaha...you are dreaming!
    2008 MKV R32 <--Click for pics - Deep Blue Pearl - 3DR - Manual - 20% Tint - EVOMS Intake - Milltek Non-Res Catback Exhaust - APR ECU Tune - 18" GTC GT-CX Rims - Dunlop SP Sport Maxx TT Tyres - Whiteline 24mm RSB - Adam's Rotors (Double Slotted) - Hawk Ceramic Brake Pads - Vibratechnics Road Torque Link Mount - SprintBooster - R8 Coil Packs - NGK Platinum Sparkplugs - Stubby Antenna - Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5w30

Daily
    MKVI GTI ADIDAS
    2nd Car
    Mini Cooper S Chilli
    Name
    Simon

Sagged knuckles.

Chris
    Nice write up and info Chris. I'll certainly keep that in mind the next time I do a thorough check of nuts and bolts on the car. Going to invest in a torque wrench now. Thanks again! = D

Daily
    MK6 Golf GTI
    2nd Car
    My Legs :) haha
    Name
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by GTI155TSI View Post
    Nice write up and info Chris. I'll certainly keep that in mind the next time I do a thorough check of nuts and bolts on the car. Going to invest in a torque wrench now. Thanks again! = D
    Good idea well worth th emoney, i personally do mine at 90 ft/lbs or 120 nm (same same) as i have 14 x 1.5 bolts,

basically like me and my friends say, if you can't losen your bolts with just your hands and you need to step on the ratchet, they are wayyyy to tight.
    Mods + More Mods + GIAC =

Daily
    GTI MK6 MY11
    2nd Car
    Tiguan 147TSI DSG
    Name
    Nat

http://www.kincrome.com.au/web/catal...number=MTW150F

around $80 from Bunnings.

very very handy for those who like to swap wheels like shoes

Daily
    VW Passat R36 Wagon
    Name
    Pato

Great write Chris, I am always conscious about over tightening or under tightening my bolts!!

This is an excellent guide....

Name
    Tendy

Good write up, mate.

Also, another handy tips for those who owns a torque wrench. Reset it to 0 once you are not planning to use it for a while. That way the springs inside keep being accurate.

Daily
    MK6 R MANUAL 5 DOOR
    2nd Car
    Malvern Star Oppy
    Name
    LEIGH

I bought a dewalt 18v impact wrench. Max of 120 ft pound. And added a torque specific wheel socket from kincrome. It torques and you never over tighten you wheel bolts. And it's so quick too but costly!!
    MY 11.5 R| RISING BLUE | VMR 721 19'S | 5 DOOR | MANUAL | LEATHER |

WARRANTY VOIDING COMPONENTS
    HPFP - 142 BAR RETURN VALVE - REVO 2+ SPS - FORGE ACTUATOR - EVOMS V-FLOW - CLUTCH SACHS SRE 550+nm - FLUIDAMPR - H&R SWAYS - WALK - SCORPION TBE - TYROL SUBFRAME KIT

SOUND ENHANCING
    FOCAL PS 165 FRONT AND REAR DOORS - ALPINE V9 AMP - JL AUDIO STEALTHBOX AND CLEANSWEEP - DYNAMAT EXTREME EVERYWHERE

Daily
    MKV R32
    2nd Car
    R32 GT-R
    Name
    Justin Fox

Personally have always done all of my cars by hand, by feel, without a torque wrench. Having said that I'd say that in the early years with my first few cars (1995 or so) I most probably did over tighten (with no adverse effects luckily).

+ Reply to Thread