Awaits people to post useful information!!
I thought this thread would be useful for potential future MKV GTI owners.
Maybe everyone with a MKV GTI can share what's gone wrong with their cars over the year (if anything at all) and offer some advice.
A few threads also worth checking:
Pet Peeves with your MKV:
DSG vs. Manual:
Your opinion: 3 door vs. 5 door - Appearance vs. Practicality?
How many kms has your VW done
1) Diverter valve which is a common issue. They get cracks in them which in-turn causes the car to loose boost and lack power. You can feel the car lacking power as it will often have a bit of strange whistle to it under load. And up top in 5th/6th gear you'll find it won't pull hills very well.
2) Common thing, but do all the doors line up and close easily? The MKV (and MKIV come to think of it) are very air tight but don't mistake that for a repair job. One MKV Golf we looked at had been in a prang and the passengers door didn't line up properly (the giveaway was the over spray)
3) Air conditioning compressors in earlier MKV Golfs (and Jettas) had a tendency to fail. Symptoms are blowing hot air, not cooling properly and a very annoying whine from the air compressor unit. I know because the dealer has a part on order for me because mine is doing it! The air is nice and cold but it often has a pretty bad whine, it was noted by the technician and they are looking at replacing a fan and seeing if that fixes it. If not, it will be a new compressor I think.
Previous: MKV 2.0TDI, MKV GTI, MKVI GTI Adidas (bluefin tuned)
Current: Boring Subaru wagon thing
the cam follower is another thing to look out for as well as coil packs
Fuel lines that tap against the chassis
should be a sticky..
- 120,000km timing belt + water pump + rollers change will be in the 1k range (non-vw mechanic)
- DV (Diverter Valve) must be change to latest revision even running stock
- Possible faulty Coil packs
- weak PCV
Edwin or Ed
2010 118TSI, CW, DSG
|35% tint| |smoke tails| |Omanyt 18s|
I suppose I better do the Diverter Valve on my car then huh?
Link to product:
There's been a couple of voluntary recalls and if they've been done there should be two little recall stickers inside the driver's side door jamb, roughly in line with the ignition. Off the top of my head I can't remember what they were for exactly, an ECU tweak and something to do with the brakes maybe. Nothing too major anyway, and they don't affect all GTIs. Ours was built in August 2006 and if your car (or prospective car) was built 12 months either side of that I'd just double check to see if the car was affected.