Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Things to look out for when buying a 2nd hand MKV GTI

Daily
    NA8C
    2nd Car
    BNR34

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet View Post
    I think most important thing is to make sure it hasn't been modded.
    or modded properly with proper quality mods.
    Previous : MY05 CL9 Honda Accord Euro Luxury (Graphite) : (06/11/2004 - 19/02/2008)
    Previous : MY08 MK5 Volkswagen Jetta TFSI DSG (Reflex Silver) : (13/04/2008 - 28/06/2010)
    Previous : MY97 MK3 Volkswagen Vento VR6 (Porcelain Blue) : (01/08/2015 - 12/12/2015)
    Previous : MY11 MK6 Volkswagen Golf R DSG (Candy White) : (01/12/2010 - 11/06/2016)
    Current : MY96 NA8C Mazda MX-5 (British Racing Green) : (12/12/2015)
    Current : MY02 BNR34 Nissan Skyline GTR V-Spec II (Bayside Blue) : (05/06/2016)

Daily
    MkV GTI DSG
    Name
    Kerem

all four coils where burnt.. car dealer wasn't so smart in washing a car engine.

Daily
    Golf R
    Name
    Chris

Slow electric rear window (twice)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    very early cars had the AXX engine whereas a little while into local delivery VW switched to the BWA engine which makes about 20HP more.
    Sorry Tim but you are incorrect. There is no HP/TQ difference between AXX & BWA engines. The difference is that VW began their MkV penny pinching with the engines & the BWA designation had cast internals versus the (more expensive to produce) forged internals of the AXX series. Nice to know some of us have stronger guts
    Loathes fanbois & people that can't spell independant and definately correctly

Daily
    Triton 4x4
    Name
    James

Hey All

One thing I am after, which I can't find in the search here or even after a quick google session is - can the odometer reading on a GTI V be changed (turned back, disconnected etc) so a second hand car could read as having done much lower km than it has...

I have noticed a couple of Vs out there that have VERY low kms, like 5000 km or so, which means they have hardly been driven in same 3-4 years.

I understand there is a service record, but what if you have a best mate who is a mechanic or works with VW, owns a dealership etc etc (a number of possible scenarios) and he does the services as scheduled but does not record them in the book until the ks reach much higher??

I have heard of sealed units that don't work once tampered with, also electronic control ... does anyone have any experience with this?

Have you ever heard of this being done before?

There seems to be some really good buys out there at the moment for 2nd hand V's with very low ks.

thx

JP

Daily
    mk5 gti
    2nd Car
    mazda cx9

You snooze- if think you are incorrect. The AXX engine has forged pistons only but it experienced other issues which were rectified in the BWA engine. This is well documented and most agree that the BWA engine dynoed higher than the AXX. Both good engines but BWA more reliable.

Happy to stand corrected if that's the case. Ta.
    Loathes fanbois & people that can't spell independant and definately correctly

Quote Originally Posted by JPandaDAX View Post
    Hey All

One thing I am after, which I can't find in the search here or even after a quick google session is - can the odometer reading on a GTI V be changed (turned back, disconnected etc) so a second hand car could read as having done much lower km than it has...

I have noticed a couple of Vs out there that have VERY low kms, like 5000 km or so, which means they have hardly been driven in same 3-4 years.

I understand there is a service record, but what if you have a best mate who is a mechanic or works with VW, owns a dealership etc etc (a number of possible scenarios) and he does the services as scheduled but does not record them in the book until the ks reach much higher??

I have heard of sealed units that don't work once tampered with, also electronic control ... does anyone have any experience with this?

Have you ever heard of this being done before?

There seems to be some really good buys out there at the moment for 2nd hand V's with very low ks.

thx

JP
    That would interest me too!

Daily
    2004 .:R32
    2nd Car
    1975 Golf LS
    Name
    Pedro

Daily
    MarkV GTI Pirelli
    Name
    Duncan

One thing to keep in mind when buying a DSG GTI, the $60k KM service is $1500.

+ Reply to Thread