Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Things to look out for when buying a 2nd hand MKV GTI

Daily
    '07 Mk5 GTI

Quote Originally Posted by youngcodger View Post
    Hey we've got a MKV FSI that needs the timing belt done
    Who did you get and what did it cost?
    I realise this is an OLLDD post, but just to keep the info fresh and relevant for potential owners - I was recently quoted $880 for timing belt and water pump fitted from VW Village in Sydney.

Daily
    Mk5 Golf GTI Manual
    2nd Car
    Honda Accord Euro
    Name
    Steven

That's a great price. From memory it's ~$1400 from my VW dealer.

Name
    Darren

Hi All,
    Recently purchased a Golf MKV GTI DSG through used car dealer with 120,000kms (with stat warranty). Already i have had both rear door actuators replaced & the air cond compressor has failed twice now, going for a third one this Monday (under warranty). Great car to drive with that said. The air cond mechanic stated that since VW changed from the clutch air cond compressor in previous models to without, they have constant issues.

Next on the list is new rotors & pads all around + new rear taillights (mars_performance ebay).

Daily
    Driftspec GTI
    2nd Car
    Rallyspec R
    Name
    Trackspec 32

issues you may have:
    -steering rack ( look out for binding at high speeds or knocking at low speeds ) known fault with these.
    -gearbox mounts , make sure none are damaged or on they're way out
    -spark plugs, compression leaking + ash buildup- (standard car thing just get em replaced if the dealership hasen't
    -Timing belt (squeeking) ( needs a timing belt kit, at round 90- 100,000kms )
    -Dsg major service ( just an oil change and some computer work) (needs to be done fairly regularly to ensure good dsg health.
    -vacuum pump leaks
    -Diverter valve no boooost buy a piston type or upgrade.
    -PCV valve- weird noises, or lack of boost
    -aircon compressor bearings poor quality- may die prematurely- test if AC is strong

check: cam follower

often peoples lumbar adjust fails- there is a thread dedicated to this.

\
    great cars , not a full fanboy, they could be better-
    but where they lack in performance they makeup in practicality.

they need a bit of love and knowledge.
    if you're ok to budget to upgrading most parts to the latest revisions OEM parts things will be good for you.

the parts and enthusiast community is similar to the miata scene- active enthusiastic people ive spoken to sofar.

very refreshing as an enthusiast coming from a generic car. you dont feel like you're throwing money away when you're fixing and upgrading parts.
    also vw do address issues with revisions to help longevity. not often seen with car manufacturers.

as a final note-
    I love how vw brought DSG technology to the masses with these cars.
    Last edited by mek; 12-12-2015 at 08:15 AM.

Daily
    Mk5 GTi

agreed, sticky pls helped me

Daily
    Jetta TFSI
    Name
    Giles

Dual Mass Flywheel

Both in the DSG and Manuals. Check for clunking when engine starts to crank or faint intermittent clunks during idle. Also any clunking on deceleration from say 3rd gear to 2nd. Some other forums claim this problem can arise 80xxxkms onwards. Some people change the DMF to a Single Mass Flywheel (SMF) with a conversion kit. Apparently there were some recalls of vehicles with this problem but I don't know if that fact or fiction. Contacted VW recently to get more insight because my 2.0t Jetta has started to make the noise.
    Apparently it is NOT a cost effective service.

+ Reply to Thread