Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wheels on Mk2

Daily
    MK2 Golf GTI

Wheels on Mk2

Just a question of what kind of rims can actually fit on the rims. There are so many sweet deep dish rims but they are all 15x8 so just wondering if those will fit. Maybe any offsets required, fender rolling required or cutting required? How about rims 15x6.5? what kind of offsets do these require?
    Thanks
    Lewi - Mk2 Golf GTI 2.0L 16V ABF

Daily
    Not a Golf
    Name
    Walshy

All depends on what style of wheels you like, how low you want your suspension and if you are willing to do any arch work.
    With the right offsets and tyres you can fit any size wheel from 13" to 17" any any width up to 9".

15x8 will fit with any offset from +35 to +10 any lower and they'll poke too much. 15x6.5 wheels will be a little thin but will work within any offset from +40 to 0.
    The PCD (stud pattern) is 4x100 but with adaptors you can fit any wheels. Porsche wheels are 5x130 & you can get adaptors for them easily. 4x100 - 4/5 X 114.3 (common JDM wheel PCD) are available but they're expensive.

If you go wide wheels & low suspension you'll need arch work & stretched tyres.

Also you'll need think what your priority will be, good stance or good handling. Any wheels over 17" will ruin the handling & ride. Smaller wheels will look shit with a stock ride height and big wheels will require a lot of work with lowered suspension.

At the end of the day it's all down to personal preference. Get yourself onto the forums & have a look at the pic threads, work out what style you like & go from there. The MK2 has been around for so long that virtually every wheel size & width will have been tried.

Daily
    MK2 Golf GTI

Also just to check, what size would the steering wheel spline be for the 86 model. Is it a 17mm spline?
    Lewi - Mk2 Golf GTI 2.0L 16V ABF

Daily
    Not a Golf
    Name
    Walshy

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Also just to check, what size would the steering wheel spline be for the 86 model. Is it a 17mm spline?
    Yep, later ones were 21mm

Daily
    CADDY -
    2nd Car
    MK2
    Name
    jose castro

As scruff posted, stay away from 17's, in a straight smooth road there great but if you want to go round a corner stay away especially if you want some sort of stance, best wheels I've actually ever had on mine were the standard issue European RA's, not the prettiest but great size and you can run a sensable tyre width (195/40 or 45 /15.

I run 16 inch splits for show and 16' nothelles for winter with silly tyres (165's up front and 195's on the rear, its the only wat I can drop the car as low as it can go ) 15's don't look right the way I want to run the car, the RA's are my ghetto wheels but great cheap OEM wheel. I have no idea if you can get them in OZ,,

HHmmmm, I wonder what would happen if a few sets entered the country, lol

+ Reply to Thread