Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Interior Lights Install MKVI Golf <<<PICTURE INTENSIVE>>>

Daily
    2012 Mk6 Golf 118
    2nd Car
    2011 Mk6 Golf R
    Name
    Mark

DIY Interior Lights Install MKVI Golf <<<PICTURE INTENSIVE>>>

Having just recently purchase a full set of LED interior lights from http://www.tunerdomes.com and installed them today.

Whilst doing the install I thought it might be handy to document and photograph so those of you with MKVI Golf's can avoid any expensive mistakes. The install itself is not difficult once you get the idea of how the globes and light fittings are mounted. From there it's really just a matter of using the right tools so you don't scratch or damage the fitting or your car.

Tips & Hints... 1. Be Gentle 2. Be Gentle and 3. Be Patient... If you follows these tips and hints you will get the job done in about an hour without much drama.

We start with the 2 x map lights in the over head console, which I was worried about the most but surprisingly I had the least trouble. Start by gently levering open the flap door with a credit card or your fingers... I did it with my fingers.

See photo below which shows the flap open:-

The next step involves removing the two (2) screws that hold the light assembly in place, however this cannot be done until you gently move the sensor bar plastic out of the way (see picture below) WARNING, be gentle and undo the retainer hooks as you run the risk of breaking the plastic or scratching the overhead console:-

Next grab your screw driver with the posi-drive loaded and proceed to unscrew the two (2) screws (see picture below):-

After you have removed the screws, the overhead assembly will come out of the console. You will note the red arrows that identify the two (2) bulbs holders that need to be removed by turning them clockwise.

One thing you will notice in this photo is the LED replacement globes are bigger than the OEM incandescent globes. A point I will refer to later.

Tips & Hints... The LED replacements have a polarity, in that some of them must be installed to ensure positive and negative are correctly aligned in the fitting to ensure power flows correctly and the lights work. DO NOT replace light fittings are covers until you have tested the light works!!

The picture below shows the LED light installed in the fitting after the incandescent globe is removed:-

Once the two (2) globe holders are screwed back into the assembly, refit the assembly into the overhead console by aligning the pegs on the assembly with the slots in the overhead console. See picture below:-

As I explained earlier, the LED replacements are longer than the OEM incandescent globes. So you will see from this photo you will be able to easily see the LED lights. It's not a huge problem and they work fine, but if you are fussy like me it'll possibly be annoying.

And here's the result of installing the globes in the overhead console:-

Next... the rear map and dome lights... Again, reasonably easy, gently lever down the edge of the plastic assembly with your finger, and then each of the clips will undo until the cover comes away from the roof:-

Cover on the rear seat:-

The light assembly is revealed, with the three (3) globes that must be replaced.

Note there are two different types of globes to be installed here, so take note in the pictures below with the globe types and how they are placed:-

And here is the finished result in the back seat:-

Next is the drivers side foot well light. Not the easiest to get to, but if you follow my tips it can be easier. You will note the arrow on the photo pointing to a single screw. Trust me when I say it is much easier to remove the screw which releases the assembly than trying to remove the light assembly:-

After removing the screw and releasing the assembly, flip the assembly over and press on the plastic retainer clip (red arrow) to remove the foot well light assembly:-

You should now have the light assembly removed (see below):-

Next remove the metal cover on the light assembly by unclipping the four (4) clips (see arrow):-

Once the metal cover is removed you will see the incandescent globe inside the light assembly. Remove the globe gently with a small screw driver:-

Next, mount the LED light into the assembly (see picture below) but DO NOT replace the cover or the light assembly into the car until you have tested the light to ensure the polarity is correct.

Once you are sure everything is working, replace the metal cover and install the light assembly, and screw the plastic frame back into place. Here's the results of the foot well globe replaced with the red LED light:-

And here's the passenger side foot well light. Only difference here is no screw driver necessary. Instead you simply put your fingers up behind the light assembly (see arrow) and push against the clip on the side of the light assembly. NOTE the light assembly partially out in the photo below, and ensure this is where you put your fingers and push:-

Next we do the cargo space light. Take note of the arrow which shows where to gently place a small screw driver to leverage the light fitting out of the boot plastic. Be gentle, and push in to ensure the metal retainer clip allows the light assembly to come free:-

The photo below shows the light assembly free and the metal retainer clip:-

Here is the cargo space light assembly showing the globe:-

The photo below shows the LED light installed in the cargo space light assembly. NOTE remember the polarity, and always test before reassembly:-

And here's the cargo space light assembled and working with the LED:-

Next, we move on to the visor light replacement. I'll only show one light replacement as the driver and passenger sides are both the same. This photo shows a small screw driver inserted into the notch in the side of the light assembly. Gently push the screw driver in and down and the assembly will come free from the roof:-

See picture below showing the metal retaining clip that holds the assembly in place:-

This picture shows the light assembly removed, showing the incandescent globe:-

This picture shows the LED replacement installed in the light assembly (remember polarity):-

Next we move on to the glove box light which is one of the hard light assemblies to remove. However with some patience the assembly can be removed safely. Note the arrow showing how the retainer clip is accessed, however the owners manual pocket plastic REALLY gets in the way:-

The glove box light assembly is the same as all the others and has a metal cover with four (4) clips that need to be unclipped to access the globe:-

Incandescent globe in the glove box assembly:-

LED light replaced in the glove box light assembly... remember P for polarity:-

All assembled and bright enough to show the cover of one of my favorite moves...:-

Well folks... that is the job done. I trust this information was both informative and helpful. If you have any questions or want to post your own experiences or photos then feel free to put it in this thread.
    MY11 Golf .:R | 3 Door l Rising Blue l 3 Pedals l 19" Grey Pretoria Rims l Leather l Nav | Bluetooth

Mods: Milltek CatBack l Bluefin Stage 1 l Unibrace XB & UB | H&R Springs & Rear Sway | AWE & AmD Hybrid CAI | SprintBooster
    Cosmetics: P3 Gauge | Interior LED Lights | LED Turn Bulbs | R Centre Caps | Kerscher Front Splitter | NS Boost Gauge

To see my Build Thread >>>Click Here<<< Watch my Videos >>>Click Here<<<

Daily
    Golf MK6 GTI
    2nd Car
    Polo MK5 TSI
    Name
    Marco

Awesome write up!! And excellent DIY!! Thanks for sharing!
    MK6 GTI KraftwerK 2+ | Exoticars | f: GTI Legacy| Insta: @m4rk0c

Daily
    R32 MKV
    Name
    Paul

+1

Thanks Mark. Red foot wells look spot on. Thats what im waiting to arrive

Daily
    Holden supa nova ha!
    2nd Car
    GOLF R
    Name
    Hong

great work!
    great tips to as it seems to be a little more complicated than the MK5

Banned
    Daily
    mk6 gti.
    Name
    adam.

hectik!!!!!
    cant wait to actaully get my bulbs!

Daily
    Golf R
    Name
    Lucas

Very well done DIY. Lights look great. Keen to get myself a set now.

Daily
    Golf R
    Name
    Andrew

Fantastic write up with the tips Mark!.... Thank you Sir!!!

Just waiting for my to be deliver now...
    MY12 GOLF.:R | Candy White | 5 Doors | manual | roof | leather | ACC | 19" silver Tallies | Flickr

Daily
    MKVI 118TSI

BIG Thank you to you GregoInc. Now i can order the parts and follow the guide.

Daily
    Panda R
    2nd Car
    Specialized Roubaix

Sensational write up WD definitely save my time and other fellow members time with it much appreiciated.
    .:Panda .:R Build
    MY12 Golf .:R MKVI Candy Weiß | Recaros | 19" Black Talladega | ACC | Sunroof | RNS510 SatNav + Dynaudio | RVC | BT & MDI | 3 Pedals
    Ordered on 18/06/11 : Delivered on 28/12/11
    42DD Catch Can | Autotech HPFP | Enkei Kojin 18x8+45 | Garage Vary Reife Carbon Kit | GFB DV+ | GIAC Extreme | Milltek CBE | NeuSpeed Discharge Pipe | NeuSpeed Sport Springs | P3 Gauge | SPM FMIC | TurboXS DP | VF-Eng CAI

Daily
    .:R32
    2nd Car
    Aston Martin One77
    Name
    John

BAD BOYS, BAD BOYS, WATCHA GONNA DO? WATCHA GONNA DO WHEN THEY COME FOR YOU?

+ Reply to Thread