I haven't updated this thread for a little while, but things have been happening. I got the car back from Peter Bower, the fuel system specialist and the improvements were significant. First up the brakes which were done at the same time are now working much better than before. The pedal in Mk1s always seems to feel light, but the bite of the brakes is strong. Odd. They also adjusted the booster so that the reservoir doesn't sit hard up against the leads on the distributor so that was good. I'm not even sure how they did that, but this was one of the bad side effects of the engine conversion which is now sorted.
What Peter did perfected the cars idle and made it much easier to start. A lot changed over the time it was up there, so it's hard for me to remember exactly what was done, but in the end it mostly came down to replacing the injectors, fitting an auxiliary air slide and recalibrating the warm up regulator. Turns out the ignition advance in the factory ECU was working, so that was great news. Bit of an update on the state of the engine bay below. You can't really see the additions that were made, but you can see that it needs some cleaning!
A couple of weeks ago I had the guards rolled by Phill and a wheel alignment done. It's all in the name of getting it ready for GAD next weekend! I put a Techtonics short shifter in and can now select fifth gear! Had to adjust the linkages which took a while, but the 'box is perfect now and so nice to drive.
There's a few things I need to do now that it's back.
- source and fit a fuel accumulator
- fit a smaller fuel filter
- fit a larger (5/16) fuel return
- take it back to Peter to have a fitting tapped into the throttle body for the auxillary air slide to function better
- paint touch ups in areas that weren't resprayed
- restore arch flares
- get new exhaust
And that's my list. Plus give it a really good clean!
I've got spacers to put behind the wheels now that the guards are rolled, but I can't find the locknut! Hoping that turns up this week.
Some of the things I've done recently are:
- fix carpet edges under the side strips
- fix the door seals at the hinges
- fit front number plate
- take back to spraypainter to do passenger A pillar which was missed last time.
The temperature gauge wasn't working on the dash cluster, so I replaced the sensor last weekend. After doing that the fuel pump wouldn't prime (coolant temp is linked to ECU and injection system) so I had to hook the pump to constant 12V and drive it to an auto electrician near Peter Bower. The car has been there for the last week but is now ready to be picked up. I cannot wait. He has sorted out the fuel issue, got the gauge working, fixed the oil pressure sensor which was broken, got the thermo time switch working, and rectified a problem I was having getting the coil to maintain 12V when cranking. It should be like a new car!