Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY - MKV Door Trim Removal

Daily
    2011 WRX
    Name
    Cameron

DIY - MKV Door Trim Removal

I had to remove two of my door trims to fix a few squeeks and rattles (caused by crappy workmanship when I had my windows retinted)

Thought I may as well do a quick write up. Might come in handy sometime.

Tools

T20 Torx driver
    T30 Torx driver
    Hard bit of plastic (credit card or something similar to the red card below)
    Spanner like tool like the silver thing below can be handy for getting the plastic lugs out of the doors.

Instructions

Wind down the windows if possible, it makes the job a lot easier to do.

Front Passengers Door

1) Remove 4 T20 torx screws from the door panel. One at the top inside of the door, the other 3 underneath.

2) Remove the back piece of the door grip. Its easiest to get your fingers at it from underneath and gently pull until it clicks out. From here continue up the handle until you reach the top which then pulls out.

3) Remove 2 x T30 torx screws from the door.

4) Now the door can be gently pulled off. I found it was easier to start from the sides and work your way down. There are about 5 plastic lugs which will be locked into the metal. They should come out with the door, but if they don't they need to be popped out and fitted back into the plastic holder on the trim.

5) To pull the door right off unclip these two connectors. You can also unclip the door lock but I didn't need to get it right off.

6) Now the door is off!

7) To fit trim back on, ensure all of the black lugs are in these white clips. Lift the door up and over the black edge at the top of the door. It will be a tight fit over the top (easier to do if there is another person with you) but once over hold it firmly then tap the door firmly roughly where the clips are. Left, right, bottom and at the top right.

8) Before the door was completely screwed back on I added a little more felt to stop the squeeking and used some araldite on a broken lug.

Passengers Door's

Basically follow the same instructions above. There are less screws but its exactly the same process.

Drivers Door

I didn't have to take my driver's door off but the instructions would be similar to removing the passengers. The main difference is the removal of the mirror and window controls is a little more tricky.

You need to unclip and lift the plastic up gently and unclip the connector. From here there are a few more T30 torx screws and the rest is the same. However be warned that there is probably quite a lot of stress on the clip in the middle (just next to the rear window controls) take caution when pulling this out. I've heard a few people have snapped clips.

Daily
    2011 WRX
    Name
    Cameron

Also meant to mention, some of the clips may be a little brittle so take caution if you ever do need to take a trim off.
    Nothing snapped for me fortunately, which was a little surprising seeing as most if not all of the plastic clips are hopeless, wish the germans would come up with something better!

Daily
    MK5 GT TDI
    2nd Car
    MK2 GTI
    Name
    Ben

Nice one Cam. Much appreciated!

Going to do the door/puddle lights v. soon.

Daily
    2011 WRX
    Name
    Cameron

No worries benough!
    As I said just be careful with the plastic lugs, they will need a bit of 'gentle' persuasion to come out.

Über Golfer
    Daily
    pirelli giac
    2nd Car
    lib gt wagon

anyone baffled their front doors to stop the speaker shake???

any decent linkies?

Daily
    MY08 MkV .:R32
    Name
    Shaun

Quote Originally Posted by chugga44 View Post
    anyone baffled their front doors to stop the speaker shake???
    I've got Dynamat in my front doors, along with some Focal 165's w/ custom-made baffles.

Wasn't DIY though
    2006 MkV 2.0TDI -> 2005 MkV GTI ->2008 MkV .:R32

Über Golfer
    Daily
    pirelli giac
    2nd Car
    lib gt wagon

Quote Originally Posted by shauno View Post
    I've got Dynamat in my front doors, along with some Focal 165's w/ custom-made baffles.

Wasn't DIY though
    but worth it???

Daily
    Name
    Shaun

Quote Originally Posted by chugga44 View Post
    but worth it???
    Sounds better than stock - but Dynamat is reasonably heavy, so not a good idea if you're into weight-saving...

Before:

After:

/hijack

Daily
    2011 WRX
    Name
    Cameron

Nice!
    Always liked the dynamat setup.

Daily
    Name
    Shaun

I'll be pulling my passenger door apart this weekend to install a replacement mirror - also pulling both mirrors apart to install InPro smoked indicators.

If anyone in Sydney wants to help (or needs to do similar work), PM me & we can break our cars together...

+ Reply to Thread