I figured I should stop lurking, say hello and post a pic or two of my car - a 2008 MK5 GT TDI.
It's a little bit modified:
- adjustable height, bump and rebound coilovers set to about 30mm lower than standard
- Audi TT front control arms with WALK, currently set to -2.5deg camber
- whiteline bump steer correction kit
- -2.9deg camber in the rear
- Volkwagen racing 355x32mm front disks, 6 spot calipers (don't play well with audi TT ball joints)
- R32 rear disks and calipers
- braided brake lines all round
- dieselgeek short shift kit
- BSR stage 1 tune (significant midrange power gain, ~400rpm increase in usable top end revs)
- 18x8 R8-style wheels for road rubber
- 18x8 Advan Racing RZ wheels (light!) w/ yokohama A048 medium compound tyres for track days
- wheel studs because I hate bolts (they bring back bad memories of stripping hubs and losing rear wheel when sideways at high speed on dirt. Yeah, that happened to me many years ago on a rotary powered mazda 808 at a motorkana)
Some of those bits come from members of this forum - I've been lurking for a while....
Best time at wakefield Park is a 1:15.3, but that was before the control arms, brakes, tune, shift kit, on 17" wheels and w/ badly tuned suspension. I'm hoping to run a track day @ wakefield next week and go 1-2s a lap faster given all the mods I've made since then. Last year I did a 47s lap at the Marulan driver training centre, only a second slower than my cousin in a chipped Golf R. And I managed a 39.03 @ 139km/h on the Bulahdelah Hillclimb when the car was standard - I should be able to smash that time next time it runs.... And I have a GoPro now so I'll be posting vids the next time I'm on the circuit.
While the Golf is nowhere near the fastest car I've owned (the 13B turbo S3 Rx7 I built takes that prize), it's definitely the best handling car I've owned. I've got a few more things I want to do that'll make it faster, though. A bigger turbo would be a good start, it needs wider front guards (kerscher is what I've been thinking about), a SMF w/ high torque clutch, a wavetrak or quaife LSD, rear seat and underbody unibraces, recaros, harnesses, etc.....