Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread
Page 67 of 69 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869 LastLast

Thread: Frazza's RB Golf R Build Thread

Daily
    MY11 Golf R
    2nd Car
    MY16 Polo GTI
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by woo_sm View Post
    My golf r is having some front end vibration as the car travel on un even road I can feel every single bump through my gas pedal and my steering , definitely felt something is loose and every now and then there's some clunking noise do U reckon I'm having the subframe problem or just that my lower arm bushing? Btw I'm using kW v2
    Well if it feels/sounds like a clunk then it could be the subframe for sure, i used to get my noise when stopping or taking off from the lights, at first it was really random, sometimes it would do it but not all the time but then eventually it became pretty constant and very annoying. But from what i can tell pretty much all the MK5 - MK6 Golfs will end up doing this, i have driven in friends cars who said they don't get the clunk but they didn't really know what they where looking for and when i was in the car i could easily point it out.

The upside is that once the bush kit is done and the lower control arms are in the front end feels so much better, better mid corner turn and feel and the ride is improved a lot, the front end seems less bash & crashy, its hard to explain but you get more of a quick solid thud over harsh bumps rather than a bang or a crash, just a much better feel.
    ║ "The mind is willing but the body is weak - Frazza 2013" ║ Follow me on Instagram

Daily
    MK6R
    Name
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by frazza View Post
    Well if it feels/sounds like a clunk then it could be the subframe for sure, i used to get my noise when stopping or taking off from the lights, at first it was really random, sometimes it would do it but not all the time but then eventually it became pretty constant and very annoying. But from what i can tell pretty much all the MK5 - MK6 Golfs will end up doing this, i have driven in friends cars who said they don't get the clunk but they didn't really know what they where looking for and when i was in the car i could easily point it out.

The upside is that once the bush kit is done and the lower control arms are in the front end feels so much better, better mid corner turn and feel and the ride is improved a lot, the front end seems less bash & crashy, its hard to explain but you get more of a quick solid thud over harsh bumps rather than a bang or a crash, just a much better feel.
    So just reading this, maybe once a week when I throw it into reverse or do a full lock turn, I'll get a clunk from the front end.... I take it this is just the start of my front subframe telling me it's time to replace?

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

Daily
    MY11 Golf R
    2nd Car
    MY16 Polo GTI
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by TENSE View Post
    So just reading this, maybe once a week when I throw it into reverse or do a full lock turn, I'll get a clunk from the front end.... I take it this is just the start of my front subframe telling me it's time to replace?
    Yeah its pretty much the start of it, i have tried a few different things to fix it, new OEM bolts and also a cheap washer and bolt kit from ECS, they all seem to work for about a month then it comes back, the Tyroll DeadSet kit is a proper fix, expensive but FIXED!
    ║ "The mind is willing but the body is weak - Frazza 2013" ║ Follow me on Instagram

Daily
    MK6R
    Name
    Al

Yeah its pretty much the start of it, i have tried a few different things to fix it, new OEM bolts and also a cheap washer and bolt kit from ECS, they all seem to work for about a month then it comes back, the Tyroll DeadSet kit is a proper fix, expensive but FIXED!
    Sweet thanks for the reply, will be on my shopping list now =)

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

Daily
    Polo GTI
    2nd Car
    GOLF R
    Name
    simon

do u get any front end vibration or felt something was loose when ur having the subframe problem?

Daily
    MY11 Golf R
    2nd Car
    MY16 Polo GTI
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by woo_sm View Post
    do u get any front end vibration or felt something was loose when ur having the subframe problem?
    No none of that, was just a dull thud or clunk usually when stopping or taking off from a stop or turning into a driveway or similar.

Daily
    MY11 Golf R
    2nd Car
    MY16 Polo GTI
    Name
    Chris

Small update on the Tyrollsport Deadset kit, while the kit did/does work and stops the subframe from moving and clunking i did get a new clunk which has turned out to be the steering rack, so i had to get 3 new bolts and replace those and its a good idea to put some loctite on them too so it stops them coming loose again.

Daily
    Golf GTi MK6
    Name
    Alan

I had a similar problem. It shouldn't give you any more clunks hopefully.
    Are you still thinking of new rims?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't know driving in another way which isn't risky. Each one has to improve himself. Each driver has its limit. My limit is a little bit further than other's.
    - Ayrton Senna

@g_turismo

Daily
    MY11 Golf R
    2nd Car
    MY16 Polo GTI
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by grandturismo View Post
    I had a similar problem. It shouldn't give you any more clunks hopefully.
    Are you still thinking of new rims?
    Hopefully, i think the bolts were coming loose but the loctite should fix that.

Yeah i would like new rims but i just don't have the cash flow these days so other things keep getting in the way, like food and house payments, hahaha I'd love some VW Petoria's but hard to find good ones and everyones thinks they are worth $1200 a rim cause thats what VW sell them for, not going to happen. But i'm happy with the car still as it is.

Daily
    16 Yamaha R3
    2nd Car
    MY12 Golf R
    Name
    Kody

Were the steering rack bolts easy to access to check? My car also has a clunk in the front after new bushes and a Deadset Rigid kit, and while not a big deal it is annoying me!
    2012 Mk6 Golf R | DSG | BPS Stage 1

+ Reply to Thread