You threw the ABF away?! What's wrong with it?
Meet ye olde bucket 'o' bolts
It ended its last life as a reasonably tidy Gold colored, Golf GL.
The previous owner purchased it and decided to start on a Track Hack.
1x Stripped interior, MK3 Vr6 Rear beam, MK3 GTI Front Subframe & a ABF w/ 02a later the project came to a halt,
Looking a little something like this...
January this year (2012) she became mine... and after much "umming" and "ahhing" I threw out the ABF & 02A and have begun peeling her back to nothing to start from scratch.
The Rough plan
- Pull Glass - DONE
- Pull Small Bumpers - DONE
- Clean cabin of all old fluffy sound deadening. - DONE
- Prep Body for new Paintwork - DONE
- Figure out a new powerplant... I have ideas but nothing concrete yet
- Fit new Powerplant & Dash etc.
- Make work..
- Find and Aquire aesthetics along the way.
- Strip and paint to Black Magic Metallic (my favorite vw colour)
Not entirely sure where this is going quite yet.
Watch this space
Progress this weekend (not much...)
1. pushed the ABF and 02A further out of the way and closer to the scrap bin.
2. Pulled all the Glass out of the body saving good seals where possible.
- as a result, but expectant, minor rust on the pinched seams that the windscreen mounts on to.
(Looks like im going to have to learn some rust repair skillz)
3. Started pulling apart the front Subframe peices and engine mount, will likely get these items powdercoated in a texture coat black... crinkle coat always looks good
4. Got some MK3 Fat fives sussed to get the shell off the steelies.
5. Also picked up my rallye grille, slampanel, lights etc etc.... will probably get the slam panel powder coated too!
So far parts wise i have collected.... (as at 7/5/12 )
- Big Bumpers
- Rallye front and two grille types.
- Compomotive MO1670 Wheels 5x100
- Some lovely Electric & Leather Porsche Bucket Seats to go in the Car
- another MKII GTI to wreck.
On the Weekend of 28/4/12
Pulled all the Windows Out of the Car. unfortunately found some pretty typical rusting on the windscreen frame (pinch seam) never mind will cut these out and replace in good time!
On the Weekend of 5/5/12
Fizzy and I rolled her out in to the sun and spent about 4 hours water blasting, scrubbing, degreasing and all sorts... also dropped her on the mk3 VR6 Fat Five Type Wheels to make it easier to roll around.
Also discovered there were no brake calipers on the car at all unlike what was promised in the auction... however minor details...
also made a start on smoothing the engine bay, and panel beating the smashed up raintray due to some egg being careless when installing the ABF
This coming Week/Weekend
The Front Fenders, the boot lid and front doors will probably be coming off also! may be dry icing the balance of the Sound deadening also! (horrid shit!)
Last edited by ranton; 31-07-2012 at 04:06 PM.
You threw the ABF away?! What's wrong with it?
I'm planning on going a little bit bigger than a ABF with this..
My engine Intentions will become clearer in the near future... at first they will appear a bit meh.. but what will follow will be fun (provided everything pans out..)
Not much Changed today nor will it this week
Ordered a Small Sandblaster so i can attack things like the minor rust around the windscreen and clean the old paint off the seat rails etc etc.
Plans this Week
- Remove; Front Fenders, Doors, Boot lid and various other fittings to be taken off too.
- Install some calipers & Pads on the rear so the hand brake can actually be utilized
Other Plans in the pipeline
- Hopefully start forming replacement sections out of Panel Steel to weld back in where the frame has rotted slightly around the Windscreen.
- Start lifting off the rest of the sound deadening probably with the use of Dry Ice
I need to cram in as much weekend work as I can before the snow season starts because this will go on the back burner for the most of the ski season
Quite Happy with todays Haul actually..
Secured the following pieces of interior Trim
- Pair of A Pillars
- Pair of C Pillars
- Pair of C Pillar Bases (Parcel Tray Holders)
Still hunting for the Headliner and Electric Windows and hard backed door cards.. front and rear.
My New Toy Arrived today
Sand Blaster for those oh so hard to reach places
and Pulled the Porsche seats out of the Donor mkII. These are on Custom Bases designed for the MKII Rails.. Seats are electric too
Yes the leather is scum but these will be reupholstered in brand new leather when the time comes
Poor poor car.
Do you have your license yet?! bwahha.
Can't do anything to the wagon, so you needed a new project car! Far out!
"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself."
Can not wait for saturday to come around
Got a Fair List to achieve by the days end so far!
- Get the Dry ice on Friday and Destroy the rest of the old Sound Deadening on saturday morning
- Remove Front Guards
- Remove Front Hubs and press out the decrepit axles
- Sandblast anythign that needs it
- and finish Shaving ugly brackets off the engine bay!
If time allows make patch template for windscreen rust repair.. and start preparing the patch peice out of panel steel..
Thats probably a fairly ambitious list.. but this project is early days so am still learning how to guage/manage time
---- On another note Lots of Goodies arrived today (un-important **** but goodies none the less!!)
Big Bumper Bits
and also secured a set of 90s spec arches and Side Sills to come here from the UK!
Bumper guides are manna from heaven! haha