PDA

View Full Version : HPA Haldex Controller Group Buy

Tigger73
20-12-2013, 01:32 PM
I've been looking into getting a Haldex controller recently and after a number of conversations with the guys at HPA have decided that instead of just getting 1 x Haldex Controller for myself I may as well organise a whole bunch.

So I'll put this up here looking for expressions of interest firstly.

HPA Gen 4 Competition Haldex Controller (0BR/0BY) for Golf R

Normally these retail for US$1,099

Super special group buy price - US$879 + shipping. That's 20% off RRP!

You won't buy it cheaper ever!!!! (even better than the price on the VWVortex group buy - but don't tell those guys ;) ).

So what exactly does an HPA Competition Haldex Controller do?

The Competition controller will transfer more torque more fast to the rear wheels.

Also it supports left foot braking (without disengaging the 4-motion clutch) and shifts torque to the rear wheels under braking which assists in deceleration.

http://www.hpamotorsport.com/images/drive/Gen4_controller_graph.jpg

For full details on the product please check out the HPA website: http://www.hpamotorsports.com/product_haldex.html

So if you're interested, PM me and/or reply to this thread and I'll add you to the list.

Everyone that has registered will be sent the link to the payments page which will be put up in the second week in January 2014.

To qualify for this never-to-be-repeated price we need just 10x orders.

Other controllers that are also available:

Gen4 for R36/Tig (Race mode only) - US$899 + shipping
Gen2/Gen4 for R/R32/R36/Tig (Cable switch - Race/Std/Eco) - US$999 + shipping
Gen2/Gen4 for R/R32/R36/Tig (Remote receiver - Race/Std/Eco) - US$1149 + shipping

Also similar options are available for Audi A3/S3/TT/TT-S/TT-RS/RS3

Here's the list:

1. tigger73
2. 28ONE4
3. Ashturner
4. CWR
5. Orrgazmo1986
6. stephen8512
7. Spoolin
8. Knoxis
9. 2.SUSS
10. Troy-R

Lucas_R
20-12-2013, 01:46 PM
Don't tempt me Damien......

Do we know how much shipping is? The US/Canadian shops can be ridiculous on shipping costs.

Tigger73
20-12-2013, 02:41 PM
Shipping is US$110 via UPS.

The competition unit is HPA developed in conjunction with Haldex and is only available through them.

Includes engine braking through the rear wheels. And left foot braking amongst other things...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

CDR20
20-12-2013, 02:43 PM

Do we know how much shipping is? The US/Canadian shops can be ridiculous on shipping costs.

Do it Lucas, it's been my most fav mod to date, eliminated understeer and love the left foot braking on those spirited drives.

Tigger73
20-12-2013, 03:48 PM

So because you replied does that mean I put you on the list Lucas? :)

ashturner
21-12-2013, 01:03 AM
im interested :)

CWR
21-12-2013, 01:08 AM
I'm down for one. Was very close to pulling the trigger on one a couple weeks ago so this is a nice saving for me.

Schrick32
21-12-2013, 01:10 AM
Totally worth it, can even tell a lot of difference switching between modes, car bites into the corner and just pulls itself around after in sport.

orrgazmo1986
21-12-2013, 02:30 AM
I'm in. Been researching these for a while, just wondering if anyone had fitted the unit with the receiver/remote? Would it be worth the extra money etc? Will this be included in the group buy if I were to choose this option? Thanks

Tigger73
21-12-2013, 03:24 AM
I'm in. Been researching these for a while, just wondering if anyone had fitted the unit with the receiver/remote? Would it be worth the extra money etc? Will this be included in the group buy if I were to choose this option? Thanks

For Golf R there are effectively two main options of Haldex unit to choose:

1) Gen4 Single mode non-switchable "Competition" controller (US$879). Additional functions of left foot braking and torque transfer to rear wheels under braking. This product is exclusive to HPA and was developed by HPA in conjunction with Haldex for the track.

2) Gen 4 Switchable 3 mode controller - Eco/Stock/Race. Can be bought without switch (US$899), with hard-wired switch (US$999) or with wireless remote (US$1149). If bought without switch this will default to permanent "Race" mode. Does not have left foot braking or torque transfer to rear on braking. This is a standard Haldex performance product available worldwide.

For Gen 2 (R32) and non-Golf R (R36, Tig) these only have choice of option 2) switchable units. For Gen 2 (R32) you would want a switch as default program without a switch is "Sport" mode and not the more aggressive "Race" file (Gen 2 units come in Stock/Sport/Race).

Reality is most people will keep it in "Race" mode most of the time anyway. But if you want to be nice to your rear clutches or are worried about fuel economy of 0.1 l/100km then a switchable unit has some merits.

stephen8512
21-12-2013, 10:50 AM
to be honest, I bought the competition controller (have yet to install it). Reason why I bought this and not the switchable was exactly for the reasons tigger73 mentioned. Even if I were to have bought a switchable one, I would probably set it to Race and forget. But some people like having that option.

This mod will probably be the most beneficial if you use your car on the track as that is where it will shine. However, for normal day to day driving I doubt you will feel a significant difference. Car may "scoot" along better when you press down on the accelerator and brake faster due to torque transfer, but aside from this you probably won't feel too much.

Having said all this, the price is excellent and a mate of mine who doesn't frequent this forum would like to buy one so put my name down too please :) (Competition Haldex)

Tigger73
21-12-2013, 10:54 AM
to be honest, I bought the competition controller (have yet to install it). Reason why I bought this and not the switchable was exactly for the reasons tigger73 mentioned. Even if I were to have bought a switchable one, I would probably set it to Race and forget. But some people like having that option.

This mod will probably be the most beneficial if you use your car on the track as that is where it will shine. However, for normal day to day driving I doubt you will feel a significant difference. Car may "scoot" along better when you press down on the accelerator and brake faster, but aside from this you probably won't feel too much.

Having said all this, the price is excellent and a mate of mine who doesnt frequent this forum would like to buy one so put my name down too please :)

For sure this upgrade is going to be most beneficial on the track, for spirited driving or even going around the odd round-about :)

Happy to open it up to others - will send you the group buy payment link to pass on when it's up early next year.

Spoolin
21-12-2013, 01:39 PM
Put me down for one please. :)

Knoxis
21-12-2013, 03:16 PM
In, please put me down for one competition haldex.

antihero3000
21-12-2013, 05:56 PM
So a gen 2 with a switch delivered would be $1250 AUD all in?

Tigger73
21-12-2013, 06:38 PM
So a gen 2 with a switch delivered would be $1250 AUD all in?

Yes Gen 2 with cable switching is US$999 + US$110 shipping = US$1,109.

Allowing for 0.86 exchange rate (current Paypal rate) you'd expect to pay around AUD$1,290 inclusive.

So I'll put you down as a possible???

tonymy01
22-12-2013, 01:04 AM
Over $1000au you will need to pay duties (and clearance fees?)

Tigger73
22-12-2013, 08:27 AM
Over $1000au you will need to pay duties (and clearance fees?)

Correct, however the $1000 limit only applies to the cost of the goods and not to shipping/handling charges. The competition controller units have been priced so as to bring these under the limit for imports.

Depending on how many people want to order the remote switchable units I'll arrange a shipment for the remotes and people people can purchase these off me here in Aus, but we'll cross this bridge if/when we come to it.

However this only really applies to the minority of units (mainly for R32). I imagine 95% of people will be purchasing the controller only and this can be shipped under the limit.

HPA regularly ship to Aus so are fully aware of the issues with import duties.

orrgazmo1986
22-12-2013, 02:19 PM
A few months ago I told myself that I would stop pouring money into the R, but every now and then opportunities like this come up. I hate the word Group buy lol it usually implies getting something I have wanted for a while but held off because of the price. But I am Asian and Asians love a good discount 😄

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

Tigger73
22-12-2013, 02:36 PM
A few months ago I told myself that I would stop pouring money into the R, but every now and then opportunities like this come up. I hate the word Group buy lol it usually implies getting something I have wanted for a while but held off because of the price. But I am Asian and Asians love a good discount 😄

Yeah sorry. Lol

I thought I'd finished modding my car a couple if months back too :)

73landau
22-12-2013, 03:28 PM
Mods are never finished. Now stop pretending and sign up 😃

orrgazmo1986
22-12-2013, 03:46 PM
Mods are never finished. Now stop pretending and sign up 😃

Already have I'm the sixth one on the list. I shouldn't pretend that I'm over pouring money into perpetual money tip😁 it will never stop

Tigger73
22-12-2013, 11:11 PM

You were doomed as soon as you clicked on the Group Buy thread.... moral of the story in future don't click ;)

orrgazmo1986
23-12-2013, 12:28 AM
I instantly get excited if I see 'group buy'

antihero3000
23-12-2013, 03:10 PM
Yes Gen 2 with cable switching is US$999 + US$110 shipping = US$1,109.

Allowing for 0.86 exchange rate (current Paypal rate) you'd expect to pay around AUD$1,290 inclusive.

So I'll put you down as a possible???

If you can bring them in without the usual customs hassles i'm interested :cool:

orrgazmo1986
23-12-2013, 06:28 PM
If you can bring them in without the usual customs hassles i'm interested :cool:

+1 if not I will just get the other ones that everyone else is getting. But I do live having options and buttons for me to press while I'm cleaning the interior lol

Nathan_b
23-12-2013, 07:06 PM
I enjoyed the GEN II controller on the R32 as much as the Milltek - recommend anyone considering a switch to go the remote, as its a very easy install into the boot, rather then running a cable..

Best way to describe it - you get a pushing sensation rather then a pulling when exiting a corner..

Tigger73
24-12-2013, 08:19 AM
+1 if not I will just get the other ones that everyone else is getting. But I do live having options and buttons for me to press while I'm cleaning the interior lol

Guaranteed no hassles guys. HPA regularly ships to Aus.

I am sure there are a number of forum members that have purchased from HPA. I personally know a couple of people and shipments were quick (UPS) and no problems.

Tigger73
27-12-2013, 10:06 PM
OK guys expressions of interest need to be in by 2nd of Jan.

Looking to get numbers confirmed so we can ensure the group buy will go ahead.

orrgazmo1986
27-12-2013, 10:27 PM
How many do we need for the group buy to go ahead Damien?

Tigger73
27-12-2013, 11:34 PM
How many do we need for the group buy to go ahead Damien?

We need a minimum of 10 orders to guarantee the group buy pricing.

I know a lot of guys have these already so this is a chance for others that don't have an upgraded Haldex controller unit to get one at a really price.

If anyone knows any non-forum (or Audi) guys I'm happy to extend the group buy to these guys also to get the required numbers.

Tigger73
30-12-2013, 01:06 PM
If you want the Gen 2 or Gen 4 switchable controller, you can either puchase the cable version or unit with the remote.

Here's the cable version:

http://www.hpamotorsport.com/images/drive/HaldexG2+Cable.jpg

And the wireless remote version:

http://www.hpamotorsport.com/images/drive/haldex_remote600pix.jpg

A few peple have installed the cable switch and instead of running the cable all the way through the cabin just leave it coiled up in the boot.

The main difference between the Gen 4 switchable unit (Eco/Stock/Race) and the Competition unit is that the Competition unit has the additional functions of engaging the rear wheels when braking (engine braking through the rears as well as front) and allowing left foot braking. These fuctions are most beneficial when running on the track.

Pricing as per first post:

Gen4 Controller for R36/Tig (No switch - Race mode only) - US$899 + shipping
Gen2/Gen4 for R/R32/R36/Tig (Cable switch - Race/Std/Eco) - US$999 + shipping
Gen2/Gen4 for R/R32/R36/Tig (Wireless/Remote receiver - Race/Std/Eco) - US$1149 + shipping

Tigger73
01-01-2014, 12:15 PM
Final call for numbers. Anyone looking to jump on this group buy please either reply to this thread or PM me and I'll include you in the list.

I'm looking to get approximate numbers in the next couple of days and as long as we have sufficient numbers HPA will put up a special "Group Buy" web page for payments.

Only those people that register will be given the payment link. Payment for the Haldex Controllers will be via PayPal and made direct to HPA Motorsport.

Lucas_R
01-01-2014, 01:46 PM
Im out im sorry Damien - would like one, but cannot justify the cost at this point in time.

Final call for numbers. Anyone looking to jump on this group buy please either reply to this thread or PM me and I'll include you in the list.

I'm looking to get approximate numbers in the next couple of days and as long as we have sufficient numbers HPA will put up a special "Group Buy" web page for payments.

Only those people that register will be given the payment link. Payment for the Haldex Controllers will be via PayPal and made direct to HPA Motorsport.

Tigger73
01-01-2014, 02:10 PM
Im out im sorry Damien - would like one, but cannot justify the cost at this point in time.

No problems Lucas. I knew it was on your "wish" list and was hoping the group buy could turn it into a reality for you.

It still is a reasonable investment though you should be able to get a large chunk of the cost back if you decide to part your car out.

2.SUSS
02-01-2014, 08:58 PM
Keen, put me down. What's the difference between gen2/gen4 sorry?

Tigger73
02-01-2014, 09:14 PM
Keen, put me down. What's the difference between gen2/gen4 sorry?

List updated.

Gen 2 controller is for the Mk5 based 4-motion cars (R32 and Gen 2 AudiTT). This is the one you'll need for your R32 and strongly suggest you buy this with either a cable or remote switching unit so you can switch between Stock/Sport/Race modes. If you don't get the switching unit the Gen 2 controller defaults to "Sport" mode which is halfway between "Stock" and "Race". Most people will run in either of these modes and in fact Haldex eliminated the "Sport" mode for this reason in the Gen 4 units and replaced it with an "Eco" mode to improve fuel economy for highway cruising.

Whereas Gen 4 controller is for Mk 6 based 4-motion vehicles (0BR Couplings Audi A3, S3, TT, TTS Quattro / 0BS Couplings: Passat 4-motion / 0AY Couplings: Tiguan / 0BY Couplings: Audi TTRS Quattro).

2.SUSS
02-01-2014, 09:16 PM
I'll take wireless please :)

04-01-2014, 01:04 PM
One of my first orders of business this week will be to provide all interested parties with PayPal details.

Thank you all in advance! :)

Tigger73
05-01-2014, 09:20 AM
Thanks for that. If anyone has any questions about the Haldex controllers/options then Darryl is your man.

I've been dealing with Darryl at HPA to set up this group buy. He also ran the Group Buy on Vortex last year.

To ensure the correct parts get ordered/shipped Darryl may need to confirm serial number (series) of your current Haldex controller. He will also need to send you PayPal payment details.

I'll leave this for individuals to make payment to HPA who will also ship the units out direct. We did look into shipping in bulk but it actually worked out more expensive.

07-01-2014, 07:18 AM
One more bump before I start collecting funds...

This is a great opportunity...get your name on the list!

Lucas_R
07-01-2014, 01:53 PM
Just realised that the remote control for the Haldex is identical to a garage door remote i bought last week. Exactly the same. Haha.

2.SUSS
07-01-2014, 02:28 PM
So when do we get paypal details etc? :)

Tigger73
07-01-2014, 03:04 PM

As soon as Darryl clears out his inbox from 2 weeks away over Christmas/New Year... likely in the next day or 2.

I know he's keen to get things moving as some people have been waiting a couple of weeks already.

To speed things up if you can check the version of coupling for your Haldex controller:

http://www.hpamotorsports.com/images/Haldex-Identification.jpg

That way it will ensure that you get sent the correct part.

Tigger73
07-01-2014, 03:06 PM
Just realised that the remote control for the Haldex is identical to a garage door remote i bought last week. Exactly the same. Haha.

So does that mean that you're going to go around now with your remote and change peoples Haldex settings just for kicks??? ;)

berger
07-01-2014, 08:57 PM
WICKED
time to get the jack stand under the car again and get the serial number have the funds aside now
thanks Damien for organizing this group by .......your a gentleman:)

Darryl on the comp unit gen 4 for Golf R is the fuel economy substantially worse around town at all ,have you a percentage figure at all. This would help me and perhaps a few other guys make a decisions which to opt for
My thoughts are the highway is the only place where switchable modes will save a bit of gasoline cash would this be correct?
i do drive to and from home most days when i don't take the stealth bomber

cheers All

08-01-2014, 07:55 AM
Darryl on the comp unit gen 4 for Golf R is the fuel economy substantially worse around town at all ,have you a percentage figure at all. This would help me and perhaps a few other guys make a decisions which to opt for...

Berger,

I have found that Golf R owners who buy the switchable unit (for ECO mode) do not realize much of a difference in overall economy compared to the COMP unit. This of course would depend on your driving style and location (commute to work for example). The COMP unit does not drastically reduce fuel economy over stock either. At most differences of 1 to 2% have been reported.

08-01-2014, 07:56 AM

Those remotes are common in the remote start "community" as well. I doubt the programming for your garage door would be remotely similar to the Haldex.

08-01-2014, 08:00 AM

I just received a pallet of controllers from BorgWarner yesterday! :)

For everyone on the list:

Send me your PayPal e-mail, contact phone number, and mailing/shipping address to [email protected], along with the controller type and car you want to fit it on. I will send you a personalized PayPal request accordingly.

Troy-R
08-01-2014, 09:24 AM
Hi Damien, letting you know that I'm in. Been speaking with Darryl directly offline to this point. I'll email him details as requested for payment, type and delivery. Thanks for organizing group buy!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Tigger73
08-01-2014, 11:24 AM
Hi Damien, letting you know that I'm in. Been speaking with Darryl directly offline to this point. I'll email him details as requested for payment, type and delivery. Thanks for organizing group buy!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

List updated. It's often useful to run the discussion through the forum as often the info is beneficial to others (and also means Darryl doesn't have to answer the same question 10x too).

If there's anyone else wanting to jump on the Group Buy please speak now or forever hold your peace. I don't want to be held responsible if you miss out :)

2.SUSS
09-01-2014, 11:58 PM
When's the cut off date for full payment?

Tarmac
10-01-2014, 09:56 AM
Very tempting to get in on this, as above when is the cut off date?

Also for anyone needing it, We can tune in the left foot braking part with our tunes ;)

Tigger73
10-01-2014, 10:49 AM
It's really up to HPA as to how long they keep the Group Buy open.

I realise this is straight after Xmas and not everyone has $1k available to upgrade their controller at this time of year, however there's never really going to be a great time for everyone.

Payment details have been sent out to a number of people already. I imagine HPA will keep it open as long as the orders keep coming in but there will need to be a cut-off at some stage.

Even though there has been reasonable interest, we haven't hit the magic number of orders (10) to meet our side of the deal. HPA are honouring pricing for the early orders but it would be great if there's at least 10 guys that jump on this as you won't buy one of these Comp units cheaper anywhere else.

Tarmac
10-01-2014, 11:17 AM
Excellent thanks Damien.

2.SUSS
11-01-2014, 05:37 AM
Okay understandable. I'll try get the funds in this week! How much are these things retail btw?

Tigger73
11-01-2014, 05:59 AM
Okay understandable. I'll try get the funds in this week! How much are these things retail btw?

RRP is US$1,099 and group buy is US$879 for the competition controller.

So US$220 off which is a very good deal on these units.

Tigger73
11-01-2014, 11:49 AM
Very tempting to get in on this, as above when is the cut off date?

Also for anyone needing it, We can tune in the left foot braking part with our tunes ;)

OK I've confirmed with HPA that they will keep this Group Buy open until 31st January.

So to ensure you get the Group Buy discount, please make sure you get your payments in by the cut-off.

There have been 3 units shipped out to soon to be very happy owners >D

If anyone wants to get a unit please PM me and I'll send you the details.

28ONE4
13-01-2014, 08:17 PM
Received mine today :) super fast delivery!!!!!!!! Now to dig up that DIY

Tigger73
13-01-2014, 08:47 PM
Received mine today :) super fast delivery!!!!!!!! Now to dig up that DIY

Excellent news! DIY and then a review/initial thoughts before the Group Buy closes ;)

I'm sure there's a few people sitting in the fence.

Tigger73
18-01-2014, 08:28 AM
There's just under 2 weeks left on the Group Buy.

Anyone that's looking to get a Haldex controller can save themselves $220 off the standard price for the Competition unit (for Golf R).

There's a tidy $200 discount off the Gen 2 and Gen 4 cable switchable units too.

Group Buy pricing ends on Jan 31 so if you're interested please PM me your details.

Spoolin
19-01-2014, 09:58 PM
Mine arrived last week! Very fast postage!

I can't seem to find the DIY install thread? Can someone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks again Damien for organising this! :)

Chris.

Tigger73
19-01-2014, 11:15 PM
Here's the DIY thread: http://www.vwgolf.net.au/showthread.php?9293-DIY-Installing-Gen4-Haldex-Controller-Golf-R

Though the unit should come with installation instructions too.

DonJuan
19-01-2014, 11:21 PM
Yep, Jason did a thorough job on this and it works beautifully. Now that this car is in my hands I can tell you this upgrade is very worthwhile.

Tigger73
21-01-2014, 12:42 AM
Update - we've hit halfway. 5 out of the 10 Haldex Controllers for the Group Buy now have homes :)

28ONE4
21-01-2014, 02:48 PM
Installed mine this morning took longer than I thought had trouble getting the connections off just over an hour all up... Left cable switch in boot set on sport... Will run cable later this week.

I'm no mechanic but found it straight forward.

Yet to go for a drive... Needed a beer:)

Tigger73
21-01-2014, 03:17 PM
Installed mine this morning took longer than I thought had trouble getting the connections off just over an hour all up... Left cable switch in boot set on sport... Will run cable later this week.

I'm no mechanic but found it straight forward.

Yet to go for a drive... Needed a beer:)

Before you run the cable and drill holes under your dash just try it in Race mode. Most people just end up leaving it in race mode the whole time TBH. That way you can just coil the cable up and leave the switch in the boot...

Tigger73
21-01-2014, 11:52 PM
im interested :)

Hey ashturner (http://www.vwgolf.net.au/member.php?7656-ashturner) clear your inbox....

If you're still interested we need to get things moving as there's only 9 days of the Group Buy left

orrgazmo1986
22-01-2014, 02:40 PM
So this might be a noob question, buy here goes. I will be contacting Daryl later in tonight after work to arrange paypal payments etc. but how do you check what model/coupling my haldex unit I have for my car? I am assuming this will involve me jacking the car up. Thanks in advance

Tigger73
22-01-2014, 03:00 PM
So this might be a noob question, buy here goes. I will be contacting Daryl later in tonight after work to arrange paypal payments etc. but how do you check what model/coupling my haldex unit I have for my car? I am assuming this will involve me jacking the car up. Thanks in advance

You can check under your car, though if it's a Golf R and your getting the Competition unit then I'm pretty sure there is only one type.

Just let Darryl know what car it's going into and if he needs to confirm any details I'm sure he will ask.

Tigger73
24-01-2014, 11:24 PM
OK we're into the final countdown - 7 days to go for the Group Buy.

I know there's a number of people with payments pending so please get these in next week to secure your controller at the Group Buy prices.

For others it's still not too late to jump on the Group Buy. Send me a PM or check back a few posts for the payment details.

Tigger73
27-01-2014, 02:23 PM
4 days to go...

Tigger73
29-01-2014, 08:28 AM
2 days left

Tigger73
30-01-2014, 04:46 PM
1 day to go. Last chance for up to 20% saving on Haldex controllers.

Tarmac
30-01-2014, 04:51 PM
Only if they were $500

Tigger73
30-01-2014, 05:03 PM
Only if they were $500

If only.... :)

Tigger73
31-01-2014, 08:27 AM
Last day today - get those final payments in

jawn
20-02-2014, 10:49 AM
Any feedback on the system guys?

Tigger73
26-04-2014, 11:41 AM
Finally got my Haldex controller installed yesterday - the Tig/R36 ones were on back order since Feb!!!!

Anyway handling has gone from understeering when pushed to neutral. Feels awesome. Definitely recommend to anyone that likes to push a little harder through the twisties :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K.Ho
22-10-2015, 09:48 PM
Any interest if another group buy for these is held?

Sent from my SM-N9150 using Tapatalk

Andy_rb
16-06-2016, 05:33 PM
i would like to grab one if there was another