Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Golf R Clutch Options - Stage 2+

Daily
    audi s3
    Name
    little baby jesus

Quote Originally Posted by Machine View Post
    I've got a custom NPC clutch and single mass flywheel and I'm in love with it. Smooth as butter clutch pedal with minimal effort.
    hey Ben, i'm in the market for uprated clutch that will hold 450 lbft of torque. do you mind me asking what your clutch is rated to and where you got it fitted please...

Daily
    MY13 Golf R
    Name
    Machine

I don't know what it's rated to, but you can ask Doug at NPC Performance. You can mention me if you like.
    Installed at Eurotune on the Gold Coast.
    Click here --> MY13 CW Golf R | Manual | ACC (deleted) | 19" Black Talladegas (sold) | Satnav-Dynaudio
    APR Stage 2+ w/RFD | Autotech HPFP | IE CAI + BSH Heat Shield | NPC Clutch + SMF | HPX 3" TBE | CTS FMIC | VWR Short Shifter | Comp Haldex | Uprated Engine Mounts | MCA Red Suspension | HP Superpro LCA/ALK/Ball Joints | Superpro Rear Bushes | AP Racing BBK | P3 Gauge
    Track wheels: 18x8 ET45 Enkei Racing PF01 | Tyres: 245/40R18 Yokohama A050 | Street: 245/35R19 Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S

Quote Originally Posted by Machine View Post
    +1

I've got a custom NPC clutch and single mass flywheel and I'm in love with it. Smooth as butter clutch pedal with minimal effort.
    Prior to that I tried the Sachs performance clutch kit with single mass flywheel and it locked me out at high revs, so it's back at Sachs getting the sack. It also had a very heavy pedal.
    I had an NPC clutch installed on my R about 550k's ago. Very unhappy with it so far.
    At idle it's beautifully quiet, however under load between 2-3krpm (so say up a hill with 50% or more throttle, or on a freeway in 5th/6th etc) it vibrates the whole chassis quite a lot.
    The mechanics were saying it's normal, and give it another 500k's to see if it improves. I'm very doubtful.

Did you experience much additional vibrations like above when it was bedding in?

Or does anyone else have similar experiences with other SMF combinations?
    It's manageable while i'm bedding in the clutch, but definitely not suitable for a daily if it doesn't improve as 2-3k rpm is kind of important...

I've come from a MK4 GTI with a 14lbs SMF and had zero drivability issues, just the idle chatter when AC was on.

Note, all my mounts are stock (though with 100,000k's), although they replaced the transmission mount when they did the clutch.
    I've got an 034 metal dogbone insert that I'm delaying installation until I can work out this problem.
    Last edited by McDub; 29-10-2019 at 12:23 PM.

Daily
    MY13 Golf R
    Name
    Machine

Of what type was the transmission mount replacement?

OEM apparently. Strangely the part number on the bill is for the passat LH mount (3C0199555AA) not the golfs part number but they said that shouldn't matter.
    It definitely does feel like I've put in a harder durometer dogbone though.

I have an 034 billet dogbone insert that I might put in on the weekend to see if it gets worse or better.

Daily
    MY13 Golf R
    Name
    Machine

Is your R tuned or stock? Are you in a high gear, like 5th when chugging up a hill at low revs, low speed? A big shudder could mean youíre feeling the engine struggle now when it might have been masked before. Might need to change your driving style to down shift and keep the revs up. I donít know, just thinking. I never had such an issue with mine. It was only when I switched to uprated mounts that it was louder with more vibrations in the cabin.

We had a Polo TDI that did nothing when you put your foot down at 80 km/h in 5th. Then it received a motorsport tune treatment and when you did the same thing, the car still didnít accelerate, but it shook like mad. So we had to start driving it like a petrol.

Daily
    MY13 Golf R
    Name
    Machine

The Sachs clutch/SMF chattered very loudly. The NPC has no idle chatter, but now that I think about it, there is a sound/noise/grinding at low revs under load, but Iíve gotten used to it. Itís not coupled with shaking, just audible.

It's got a stage 1 APR tune, that's it.
    Yeah it definitely happens when the engine is bogged down so it's not that surprising in that situation, however it also happens in normal driving when say you're sitting at 2200rpm on the freeway in 6th @ ~ 100kmh, and depress the throttle only half way, you get cabin vibration all the way until it goes over 3000rpm (ok I might have shifted to 5th to test the 3000rpm vibration limit...). Obviously I can down shift to avoid the 2-3krpm rev range, but if I'm just driving in a relaxed way I shouldn't need to do this.

Hopefully it improves, but that fact I've seen no-one (yourself included) having this same vibration except people on this thread https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...fitted.235666/ (and I pm'd those guys and all seemed to have changed their clutches) tells me that the mechanics were speaking horse when they told me it was normal.

Daily
    MY13 Golf R
    Name
    Machine

Iíve never driven that way, I always downshift to stay in the power zone, but Iíll give it a try today to see what happens.
    A DMF does its job of soaking things up between tranny and motor. In this instance, a SMF might not suit you or the application. My gut feeling is thereís noting wrong with the clutch, flywheel or installation, but itís also hard to judge based on description alone. My experience with NPC has been fantastic.
    Would love to drive your car to experience it for myself.

Daily
    MY13 Golf R
    Name
    Machine

OK Iíve done a few tests on my morning commute. Accelerating from low 2ís in various gears: no vibration whatsoever, just a lot of noise and very little torque.
    The sound is a low-end rumble with a bit of rattle thrown in. Plus some intake notes

Could be a warped flywheel, who knows?

+ Reply to Thread