Volkswagen Golf MKIVolkswagen Golf MKIIVolkswagen Golf MKIIIVolkswagen Golf MKIVVolkswagen Golf MKVVolkswagen Golf MKVIVolkswagen Golf MKVII

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Has VW stopped using melting 'soft-touch' plastics on interiors?

Daily
    Golf TDI 2.0 2009
    Name
    Not yet

Has VW stopped using melting 'soft-touch' plastics on interiors?

I have a 2009 Golf TDI where the interior plastics have all gone to shyte. I believe this has happened to many people living in warm climates. It also happens to BMWs and some other brands of cars, so it's not a VW-only problem. It can happen only a few years after buying a car. Example:

You can find threads about this going back to the early 2000s, so VW has known it's a problem for a very long time. Hard plastic interiors do not have these problems (for example, look at the unaffected hard plastic trim alongside the soft plastic trim in the photo above).

Has VW changed these plastics yet? Even hard plastics would be a step up, ironically.

I ask because I have a sibling who is considering purchasing a VW EV. Now EVs by their very nature (electric motors, million+ mile batteries, few moving parts) are theoretically more durable than ICE cars, so you would expect to keep one for 15-20 years. So the interior quality becomes paramount.

Thanks for your responses.

Daily
    MY16 VW Golf
    2nd Car
    MY06 Subaru Forester

Hmm, that’s interesting. A lot of reviews ping cars for not using soft touch materials, unless you are referring to Ma terminal that just disintegrates. Personally I would doubt EVs last anywhere near as long. Look at the life span of modern day smartphones!

+ Reply to Thread